Chapter 8: Jonathan's Views

When Diana got home that night, it was dinnertime. She made it in time so that Jonathan would not get mad. When they sat down at the table, it was just like any other night, except this time Diana was happy and felt that she was finally figuring out who she was.

     "So how was your time with friends, Diana?" Katherine had a sincere smile on her face.

     "It was fun. One of my friends has been having a tough time though."

     "I'm so sorry to hear that, Diana. What's going on? Anything we can help with?"

     "Her parents kicked her out of the house and she's been living on the streets. She has been working though and trying to get back on her feet."

     "How could parents do something like that to their child?"

     "It's because she is gay."

     The room fell silent and Jonathan lifted his head.

     "They did a good thing letting that girl go," he said in a stern voice, "I don't think you should see this friend of yours again. I don't want my daughter socializing with the devil."

     Diana had no response. She was hoping that her parents would be understanding; they always taught her that each and every person was her equal and she didn't understand how that could change so fast.

     "Now, Jonathan, that is no way to talk about her friend. maybe we could help," Katherine added, hoping that Diana would not become a resentful teenager.

     Jonathan kept a stern face as he replied, "unless she goes into conversion therapy, there is no way that I want her around my daughter."

     Katherine and Diana both knew that arguing with Jonathan was pointless.

     "Dad, what is conversion therapy?" No one expected to hear this from Isaiah.

     "Well, sweetie," Katherine began as to not let Jonathan start one of his in detail descriptions, "conversion therapy is a thing where they take gay people and convert them to straight people who are proper followers of God."

     "What is gay?"

     Katherine couldn't jump in before Jonathan got started this time.

     "Gay is an abomination son. It is when a boy likes boys or a girl likes girls. In the Bible it says, 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Leviticus 18:22."

     Diana didn't talk for the rest of dinner; she went directly to bed after dinner. She tried to sleep, but her worries kept her up through most of the night.

     What if Dad finds out and disowns me? Where will I go? What will I do? Is conversion therapy a good thing? Amy seemed to be scared of it. Does God really not like me just because I like Amy? I am still a virgin; have I really committed such a sin without being aware?