Chapter 20: Just Friends

Mary walked into the restaurant with Diana, who was looking around. Mary found Diana's behavior to be odd.

     "Don't worry, Diana. I doubt we'll see anyone from school of church here. They normally have family dinners, don't they?"

     "Yeah. I know."

     They sat down at a small table and Mary grew more curious about Diana's behavior.

     "What are you..." Diana stopped looking around.

     "Hi. My name is Amy and I'll be your waitress this evening."

     "Hi, Amy." Diana smiled.

     "Well you're the last person I expected to see here. Who's this?"

     "This is my sister, Mary. She's helping me out."

     "It's nice to meet you Mary. Can I get you two anything to drink?"

     "Just water please," Diana replied.

     "Same for me."

     Amy smiled and walked away, leaving Mary with a confused look on her face.

     "I'm guessing you don't know her from school or church."

     "That would be right. I met her here while I was dating a boy that mom wanted me to get together with."

     "So you became a regular here? How long did you date this boy?"

     "No, I didn't become a regular and not very long. Amy was the one that brought me to the shelter when jonathan kicked me out. I had sort of been seeing her against his wishes and he found out."

     "So are you two dating?"

     Amy walked back with their waters and both sisters ceased their conversation and just looked at her.

     "Either you two are ready to order or, judging by the looks of it, you found out that Diana and I have not dated yet."

     "The second one," Diana said without hesitation.

     "We're really just friends right now, Mary. Diana and I are still getting to know each other and I don't think that a relationship is the best for Diana right now."

     Diana felt like she had been punched in the gut. Maybe she wanted a relationship anyways. How could Amy know what was best for her?

     "Okay. I'll be back in a few minutes to take your order." And Amy walked away.