27

I stared up at him, silent from surprise. He didn't have any particular expression on his face, and I couldn't tell if he'd heard what I said or not. I really hoped he hadn't...he might angry if he knew we were talking about him. Nobody said anything, and my friend's faces held their stiff, worried expressions. Kizumi looked at them, and they looked down, avoiding his eyes. He let out a small sigh of irritation and then looked at me again. After a moment of observing my face, he spoke.

"...what's that look for?" He asked. My friends glanced at me with slightly panicked faces, but I ignored them. He wasn't even bothering them...to be honest though, I suppose I could understand their fear. Maybe I had just spent so much time with him that I got used to his brief words and less threatening aura he had towards me.

"What look?" I laughed a bit nervously at his tone. "I was just waiting for you to say something is all." He didn't respond, and I quickly searched my mind for something to say.

"...so...did you need something or...?" The words spilled from my mouth, sounding a bit rude. His face began to edge towards a glare.

"Do I need a reason to speak with you?" He spoke with an irritated tone. I shook my head quickly.

"It isn't that. It's just that you usually don't come up to me and or anything, so I thought maybe there was something you needed." I explained. He sighed again and looked around. For another long moment, things were silent. Eventually, I looked up at him and smiled.

"Do you want to sit?" I offered politely. His cheeks became tinged with a very light pink, he looked away from us and tensed up a little. My friends were looking at me now, obviously screaming no with their looks. I gave them a scolding look and glanced back at Kizumi, who was still standing.

"...not really." He said bluntly. I dropped my smile and shrugged. my friends all held back sighs of relief, but I could see it plainly on their faces.

"Well, okay...If you don't want to then-" Kizumi dropped his bag and then sat in the grass next to me. I stared at him, and he stared back, annoyed.

"I changed my mind." He stated monotonously. I laughed at him and he looked away from me. My friends were staring at him, and I shot them a glance, nodding towards him. After a moment, one of them gathered the courage and spoke.

"Uh...so what'd you do this weekend, Kizumi?"

"Absolutely nothing." He stated, looking at the friend who spoke. He wasn't glaring, but his tone sounded a little harsh. My friend looked down and nodded awkwardly.

"...What do you usually do on weekends?" Another tried cautiously. He shrugged and started pulling out pieces of grass one by one, throwing the blades in various directions.

"Nothing. I don't usually go anywhere." He muttered. One of my friends, being the blabbermouths they were, blurted,

"Don't you hang out with your friends?" He looked up and stared at my friend, then his face twisted into a dark expression.

"I don't have any friends." He spat. "I don't need them." They stared at him fearfully, and fell silent once more. I stared at Kizumi with sadness. This is why you don't have any. I thought as he yanked out a fist full of grass and then tossed it aside.

"That's ridiculous." I spoke up finally. He looked at me as if I were stupid.

"Excuse me?" He said. 

"I said, that's ridiculous." I repeated. I continued anyways, trying to get my point across without making him angry. "Don't you think it would be nice to have at least one person to talk to and hang out with?"

"I don't really care." He spoke with an annoyed tone. As I opened my mouth to speak, he stood and wiped some blades of grass off of his clothes. He grabbed his bag, and then turned away.

"Where are you going?" I asked as he began to walk away. He stopped and turned around, then gave me an annoyed glance.

"Does it matter?" He turned back and around and walked away. When he was gone from my line of sight, I sighed and shook my head. My friends, who had been silent nearly the whole time were staring at me in disbelief.

"I cannot believe you let him sit with us..." One of them muttered. "Terrifying..."