12

I watched Kizumi throw a kid down onto the floor from across the lunchroom. I watched as him and his friends laughed at the kid who was on the ground, scrambling to stand back up. It was so odd...Kizumi seemingly picked the most random people as his targets. He never just picked on the smaller kids, or the ones he thought were weaker than him. He also got into fights with with students his own age and students older and larger than him as well. I wasn't sure how Kizumi won every time, but it seemed like nothing ever brought him down.

After the student on the floor had stood and grabbed his things, he tried to leave, but Kizumi's friends surrounded him. I watched for a moment as I saw Kizumi step forward and lean in towards his face. Whatever he said to the kid made him start crying, and the kid ran out of their circle. Kizumi's friends were cracking up at the display, but Kizumi only stared after where the kid had run. His expression was smug...instead of finding it funny, he was pleased with the damage he had done. I held back a shudder of disgust.

It made me wonder how I could have possibly seen any other side of him. I felt like this was his one and only type of being when I saw him do things like this. Cold and cruel, like a beast. Kizumi turned his head in my direction, and when he caught me staring, he froze for a second. Just as quickly as he had caught my eyes, he tore them away and began to leave the lunchroom. His friends hurried after him.

"Yo, Kizumi! Hold up. Where are you going, man?" They called after him. Their voices were faint, but I could still hear them as they exited the room. Eventually, the lunchroom fell back into it's average amount of noise for breakfast time. My friends hadn't arrived quite yet, so I had a moment for myself. Maybe I should've gone and tried to find that kid Kizumi was bullying.

Fortunately, I didn't have to look far. He had come back into the lunchroom. I saw him over by the corner looking around carefully, probably trying to see if Kizumi was still in here. Once he confirmed it was safe, he walked over to the tables where had been thrown down and began searching for something. I took that chance to speak to him, and help him out.

"Excuse me." I tapped on his should, and he whirled around with a terrified expression painted across his face. I smiled at him reassuringly then said, "Sorry I scared you. I was just wondering if you were okay."

"What?" The kid looked confused. "Oh...you're probably talking about Kizumi just now..." His eyes were puffy because he had just been crying. They welled with tears as he turned his face away from me and kept searching for the unknown item.

"Yes..." I said. He didn't reply and I said, "What are you looking for?"

"My inhaler. I was pretty sure it fell out my bag over here after I was pushed." He searched under the tables, as did I. After a minute or two, I saw something red and white under a folded table against the wall. I walked over and grabbed the small object. it was the inhaler. I turned to the kid and walked it to him.

"Here." I said and handed it over. "I'm sorry about what Kizumi did to you..."

"Yeah...there's no helping it I guess. He's just one of those guys who likes to see other people suffer." The boy said as he put he inhaler in his pocket. "People like that are all the same..."

"Do you think so?" I asked, staring at the doors Kizumi had left from a while ago.

"Yes...they're jerks just because they can be." He sighed. "Anyways, thanks I guess..." He turned and walked away. Just because they can be, huh? I thought as the boy walked off. That can't be...even though I had just watched Kizumi literally throw that boy to the ground, the look on his face, smug as it may have been, it had another look to it. Nobody is cruel for no reason.

Plus, that couldn't be the only side to Kizumi...it couldn't.