15

"Watch it." Kizumi spat. Our eyes locked when I looked up at him. He looked somewhat panicked, like he hadn't realized it was me. I wasn't sure if that would have made a difference in what he said or not, though.

"Sorry. I didn't see you." I replied, still looking at his face. He shifted a bit uncomfortably.

"Obviously not." He responded. It was silent for a second as we kept eye contact. Awkwardly silent. However, Kizumi broke it quickly.

"What?" He growled at me, irritated.

"Nothing...I was just waiting for you to say something." I replied. He sighed and shoved past me.

"Well get out of the way. I don't have anything to say to you." He walked down the aisle and I watched him for a moment. He reached over and grabbed the same toothpaste I had in my hands. When he turned around, he stopped. That's when I realized I was still staring at him. 

"W-what?" He nearly exclaimed. "Why the hell do you keep staring at me?" I thought he might have approached me and threatened me, but instead he gave me an odd look. He was glaring, but his cheeks were starting to turn pink. Was he blushing again? Maybe I was imagining it. His glare became a bit darker, and I decided it was best to not bother him.

"It's nothing." I answered. "I'll see you around."

"Like hell you will." He said and turned away from me, leaving the aisle. Kizumi's cheeks were definitely pink by the time he had walked away. I wondered if there was something wrong. Kizumi had never blushed before...at least, not from what I had seen. Maybe I was just always catching him in bad moments. Then again, I had spent more than enough time with him over the past few weeks in school to see if he was any different. Why, all of a sudden, was he acting so weird?

"Is that all?" The lady at the cash register asked me, tearing me from my thoughts. I looked down at the drink and the toothpaste.

"Oh, uh, yes." I answered and pulled out a ten dollar bill, then handed it to her. She gave me my change and then thanked me. I smiled an nodded, then gave one last glance behind me before I walked out the doors. I spotted Kizumi back by the drinks. He had a soda in his hands, and was glancing over at me. When he realized I was looking back as well, he turned away, and left my line of sight.

I sighed as I pushed the store doors open. Kizumi was strange. He was usually so cruel, and normally would have threatened to beat me up if he didn't want to bother with me anymore. Maybe he would even just beat me up instead of warn me, like that one time in English. He wasn't doing either of those things, though. Instead, he was acting kind of odd. Avoiding eye contact, getting uncomfortable in my presence, even blushing when I spoke to him.

Was it me? Did I make him uncomfortable? Or was he always like this towards people, and I just didn't know? After all, the only times I saw him was when he was harming another person or threatening them in the least. Maybe since I had been able to spend so much time with him, even though it was limited to an hour a day and only at school, I was starting to see a side of him I didn't know existed.

How could I know that for sure, though?