39

Kizumi ended up coming to my house. Though I had to admit, I wasn't really expecting that question to come from my mouth when I went back to talk to him. I didn't really know what else to say, and I get worried that if I sat there trying to think to long I start thinking about things I really rather wouldn't...

When we first got to my house, we just did some homework and talked a little. Then, despite the fact that he told me he didn't waste his time on video games, I made him play a couple of rounds of some random racing game I had. Since he didn't play video games, I was actually rather shocked that he beat me.

I think what shocked me even more was when my Mom asked Kizumi if he wanted to stay for dinner. I half expected him to say no, but he looked over to me for the answer. When I shrugged, he turned back and told my Mom that he'd be happy to stay.

So now, here we all sat gathered around the table in my house eating together. As usual, my family was rather talkative at the table. They were always like that. It was nice though, because I didn't want Kizumi to feel awkward here. It was when my Mom turned to me that I started to get a little nervous.

"Shirou, how come you never invited him over before this?" She asked me. I could tell she liked Kizumi.

"Oh...well...I guess..." I tried to think of a good reason, but nothing came to mind. Honestly, it was because we weren't friends and I thought he was a hateful jerk...but I couldn't possibly say that.

"The timing wasn't always good. I'm usually busy. Besides, we never talked much before this project we had to do in English." Kizumi covered up for me. It was weird to see him acting respectful towards someone...really weird. I was so used to either seeing him blush at me, or beating someone else down.

It was also kind of nice to see him like this, too.

"How's the food?" My Mom asked after a short moment of silence.

"It's wonderful." Kizumi gave her a smile, sending my heart into pattern-less flutters. His smile caused a smile to spread across my face as well. "I don't usually eat home cooked meals, so this is actually really nice." He added. I glanced over at him. Even though his expression wasn't showing it, his eyes looked a little sad.

"Oh?" my Mom looked at him a bit surprised. "Why is that?"

"Well, my parents work a lot, so they aren't usually home." He explained.

"What do you do for food then?" She looked concerned, but he reassured her it was okay with his next sentence.

"Oh, well, they bring food home for me and such. Pizza, takeout....you know?" As he spoke, my Mom smiled at him.

"I see. Well, it's too bad your Mom doesn't have the time to cook meals. You're always welcome here though." She told him. He nodded and then said,

"Well, thank you...I'd love to come over again. The food was great." 

I looked down at his plate and saw that it was empty. My own plate was nearly finished as well, but I didn't want to make Kizumi wait, so I stood and motioned for him to follow. We walked to the kitchen and rinsed our plates off and then set them in the sink.

"Thank you for the food Mom." I said as I walked out of the dining room. It was pretty late and I turned to Kizumi when we reached near the front entrance.

"...It's kind of late." He said. I nodded.

"Yeah. If you want, I can walk home with you. It's only about ten minutes away." I said.

"If you want to." He started pulling on his shoes. I nodded again and then called out to my Mom.

"I'm gonna walk home with Kizumi, alright Mom?" After I said that, she came around the corner.

"Oh, you're leaving?" She glanced at the clock and then a look of surprise crossed her face. "Gosh...it's later than I thought. Well...just be careful, okay? And Kizumi, thank you for coming." 

"Thank you for having me. Again, the food was great." He said. She waved us goodbye as we stepped off of my porch. Slowly, we made our way back to Kizumi's house.