11. Sick Days

Sam was in and out of consciousness for the next two days, the medicine they gave him finally wearing off. It scared Dean, more than it should have. His brother was really pale and looking so small now. How had he not noticed before? He hadn't been eating much for a while...

Dean's alarm going off was what startled him. He had to leave his brother for school, which he hated to do. But a nurse was always there, to make sure he was alright. So Sam wasn't completely alone. He just hated to leave him like this, especially when now was when he needed Dean more.

Gabriel had showed up a few times for a little bit. It made Dean feel better. If Gabriel was going to be with Sam, he had to care enough to come.

Dean reluctantly got his stuff and said goodbye to Sam, even though he was dead asleep. He left the room quietly, shutting the door behind him. He made his way to school, and only hoped to come as fast as he could when it would end. . .

School had dragged on, making it seem like years when the bell dismissed everyone to leave. Dean walked fast and ran when he left the school. He wasn't leaving Sam for any longer.

He was out of breath by the time he got to the hospital. He checked in and went down to Sam's room. He opened the door to a surprise. Sam was awake, talking softly to the nurse. When the door opened, Sam turned his head to look. "Dean." He sighed quietly.

"Sam!" Dean dropped his stuff and ran to his brother, happy to see him actually functioning. He hugged him hard, not letting go.

"Dean... Can't... Breathe!" Sam exclaimed.

"Sorry. I was just worried." Dean said.

"I could tell. Your face before you saw me awake, I could tell." He answered softly.

"How long have you been awake?" Dean asked.

"I woke up right before you walked in. The nurse was asking if you I were okay, right when you had opened the door."

"How is your cast feeling? I'm so sorry about it Sam I really didn't mean to I-"

"Cast!?" He asked, bewildered. He looked at his right hand and his head fell back against the pillows. "No. No this can't happen!" He said.

"Sam I'm sorry..."

"Don't apologize... I was foolish." Sam shook his head.

"No don't say that, Sammy. I shouldn't have treated you that way, I'm sorry."

"It's fine, Dean."

"Okay, Sammy."

They sat in silence for a while until a nurse came in.

"Mr. Winchester? You're ready to go home now."

She wheeled in a wheel chair and unhooked Sam from all the IVs he had. Dean helped the nurse get him into the wheelchair as Dean got his Impala and drove it to the front of the hospital. He waited till the nurse came out, pushing Sam. She carefully got him in the passenger side and said "Bye!" And left.

Dean drove home, a comfortable silence between the boys. Sam had his eyes closed, his head resting against the window.

"Sam, you don't look good." Dean looked at him out of the corner of his eye. Sam didn't say anything, and Dean didn't push him. They got to the house and Dean went around to help Sam.

"Dean I've got it." He said while opening the car door. Dean was standing by.

"No you don't Sammy."

"Watch me." He said tiredly. He stepped out and seemed to be standing fine, leaning heavily against the door. He took a step forward and almost crumpled, Dean catching him before he fell.

"You don't Sam." He had his arm around Sam's hip, who was leaning heavily against him. He shut the door and helped Sam into the house, getting him to the couch. Sam kinda stood in front, clearly not able to move or he would fall.

Dean picked him up with ease, a little too much ease. He carefully laid him on the couch and grabbed a blanket and pillow for him. "Get some sleep. You need it."

"Dean-" Sam was cut off by Lilith's howls. Dean walked over and let the little puppy out and she made it across to Sam. Sam slowly took his left hand and picked her up, cuddling the little puppy in his arms. She licked his chin and they both fell asleep, Dean making sure not to make a noise.

A little while later, Sam woke up. He felt much better and was able to sit up by himself, making sure to move the sleeping puppy so she was in his lap. Dean came by with a mug of soup.

"Good I just finished making that for you. Wake up and eat."

"Dean I'm not hungry."

"Sam. I see what you've been doing to yourself. You are going to eat, if it kills you."

After a half an hour of begging and making sure if Sam ate, Dean promised he would have Gabriel come over. But he only got Sam to have half a mug, and wasn't going to fight him over it. He had promised Gabriel, so he of course messaged him and he was right over.

"Hey Moose." Gabriel said as he carefully sat beside Sam. He was wrapped in a blanket, the puppy curled beside him.

"Hey Gabe." Sam smiled, and it made Gabriel feel a little better. He had been so worried. Sam carefully leaned over and kissed Gabriel. Gabriel put his arms around Sam as he rested his head on his shoulder.

"You feeling okay, sweetheart?" Asked Gabriel, kissing his forehead.

"Yeah, I'm okay." He looked at his casted right hand and sighed a little. "I'll be out of school for a little until I feel better, though."

"Don't worry about it. I just want to see you're better, Moose." Said Gabriel.

Sam looked at him. "I don't think I will. Ever." There seemed to be a lot of sadness in his eyes, and it scared Gabriel for what he might be talking about.