Part Five

"Come on Riley, just help me pick her up!" Christie pleads and Riley stays firm.

"No. Let her sleep. We were up late last night." Riley tells Christie, and I close my eyes even tighter. I woke up five minutes ago when Christie came in the room, but I've found it more entertaining to listen to their conversation than to 'wake up'.

"You know, you seem pretty nice to Michelle for someone who hates her." Christie says and Riley laughs.

"I don't hate her. I'm just treating her the way people should treat each other," Riley says and pauses before continuing. "Besides, we're roommates. It would be an issue if we hated each other."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Can I ask you a question?" Christie asks, and there is a pause before Christie continues. "Why are you so insistent on not dating Michelle?" Riley stays silent for a while, before Christie asks another question. "Are you straight?"

"No."

"Only date femmes?"

"No."

"Don't date people who aren't as smart as you?"

"No."

"Only date black chicks? Latinos? Asians?"

"No, no, no."

"Pierced and tattooed chicks?"

"Although it's a turn on, not exclusively, no." Note to self - get a tattoo. Wait, why do I need to get a tattoo so Riley would like me?

"Younger girls? Bisexuals?"

"No, and no."

"Then what is it?" Christie asks, exasperated, and I stay silent waiting for her to answer.

"Because... I don't need another person in my life who is only going to hurt me." Riley replies softly, her voice just above a whisper.

The moment she mutters the words, my stomach is filled with a feeling that is best described as a black hole stealing all my good emotions. But why am I getting so sad over this? It's not like I like her... Right?

"Is that all you think? That Michelle is only going to hurt you if you come closer than an arms length away?" Christie says surprised, but pain shows clear in her voice.

"Am I wrong?" Riley asks rhetorically and Christie chuckles.

"I don't know. If you were anyone else, I'd tell you you're right. But with you... I don't know," Christie says quietly, and for a full minute, no one says a thing. "Wake Michelle up. We need her." Christie says before leaving the room.

The door shuts, and Riley stays standing where she is for a minute, before she walks over to my bed and gently shakes me, her touch sending butterflies to my stomach.

"Michelle," I open my eyes slowly and Riley smiles. "Monkey and Christie need you." I slowly nod my head and get out of bed.

I learnt two things from that conversation. Number one, Riley isn't as strong as she pretends she is. Number two, I undoubtedly like Riley Shorn, and as more than just a friend.