19. U, Me, and Hennessy Don't Mix

Start from the beginning

"Don't lie. You can't get enough of me." He whispered in my ear. For a moment, I thought I was dreaming. How could someone so perfect and good looking as Xavier have any sort of sexual attraction toward me. I felt like the luckiest girl. Well... the second luckiest. But I soon felt his touch and body heat disappear. When I turned around, he was loosening his tie and walking toward his bed. I took a deep breath, calming myself. He knew exactly what he was doing to me.

When he was lying back on his bed, he patted the spot next to him, signaling for me to come over. I did as told. He wrapped his arm around me and I rested my head on his chest. I saw him take another drink from the bottle of Hennessy. I wanted so badly to forget about who his father was but I just couldn't.

"Can you tell me about your dad again?" I asked him, my voice low. As I waited for him to respond, I listened closely to his heart beat. It was comforting.

"I already told you everything. I don't know too much about him. He was around a lot more when I was younger. But lately he's been too busy for my mom and I." He explained. I bit my bottom lip nervously.

"Would you say he's a good guy?"

"When he's here, it seems like it. But I can't really say."

"Have you ever asked your mom about him?" I started to play with the buttons on his shirt. He hesitated.

"Why are you so fascinated with him?" He asked curiously. I lifted my head and looked him in his eyes. I could sense a bit of hopefulness in his eyes. I realized that he really did want to know more than he did. I opened my mouth, prepared to tell him exactly who his father was. But I chickened out. It wasn't my job to tell him. If his mother wanted him to know, she would tell him. Plus, I was afraid of his reaction. I'd realized over the past month that Xavier had a short fuse. When he got angry, he was a completely different person and you guys haven't seen the half of it.

"I was just wondering." I lied and rested my head again. I used the first thing that came to mind to change the subject. "Your mom called Astrid a whore... Why?" I asked. I knew it was a sensitive topic but I asked anyway. The Astrid I knew was the farthest thing from a whore.

"It's nothing really. Last year, she cheated on me once and my mom has hated her since." I was shocked to hear that Astrid would do such a thing. She was the sweetest girl that I knew. Never in a million years would I think she would cheat.

"Wow." I said simply. "Did you know the guy?" I wondered. I expected him to say no but my jaw dropped when he responded.

"The guy was Alex." He said in a matter of fact tone. My head lifted again. I couldn't believe my ears. How could he possibly forgive them?

"And you're still with her?" My words came out harsher than I expected them to but I couldn't take them back now. Xavier rolled his eyes and took another drink.

"I'm not gonna' have this conversation with you." His said calmly. Even though I should have, I wasn't going to let it go.

"Why would you forgive her?" I sat on the bed with my legs crossed at my ankles. I folded my arms across my chest. He ran his fingers through his curly locks out of frustration. I'm sure he had the conversation before.

"Because when you love somebody it's what you do. You forgive them." He argued. I shook my head, rolling my eyes. My entire view of Astrid was altered. I couldn't see her the same way.

"Obviously she doesn't love you the way you love her." I spat at him. That's what bothered him the most. He stood up from the bed angrily. I immediately regretted my comment.

"You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, Charli! I bet you'd say anything just so I could be with you, huh?" He paced back and forth anxiously. I stood up too, watching him. This wasn't about what I wanted. This was about him and what he deserved.

"I'm just trying to look out for you." I argued. He stopped pacing and looked me intensely in my eyes.

"Do me a favor and stop looking out for me." He said. I pursed my lips. I couldn't understand why what I said bothered him so much. A lump grew in my throat but I refused to shed a tear.

"Fine, whatever." I answered. I angrily grabbed my shoes from the floor before stomping out of the room and leaving the penthouse. I was glad that he didn't follow me because at the moment, I couldn't stand him. How dare he tell me that I was being selfish? I was looking out for him because that's what you do for the people you love. You look out for them.

Smh. Will they ever stop fighting?