Thirty Five~Fangirls have strong feet

"You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
___________________

"I thought we've been over this, cotton candy girl."

"Come on," Megan pouted and looked at herself in the mirror. "It's adorable."

"Next!" Libby yelled a little too loud, causing some of the other girls in the dressing room to glare at us.

"What about this?" I spun in the purple dress, showing Libby the entirety of the shininess.

"No because I want to wear that." Libby said, shooing me back into the changing room.

"Why can't you wear a designer dress like you did at the premiere?" Megan asked from the other side of the changing room door.

"Because I don't have the money." I responded, wiggling out of the dress and pulling down the next from the hook.

"Why can't Jax buy it for you?"

"Because I'm not going with Jax." I stepped out of the changing room in the red dress. "Is this good?" I had no idea, I didn't even look at myself in it.

They weren't paying attention, they were too focused on my last statement. "Why not?" Megan asked.

"Don't tell me you two broke up." Libby added.

"No, we're still together, but I don't think he wants to go. His last prom was, and I quote 'the most catastrophic night' of his life."

"E, this could be a night of redemption for him."

"Yeah," Megan added. "You could ask him anyway. No harm in trying."

They were right. I didn't even know if he didn't want to go. Maybe I could make this better for him....or worse.

"Fine," I said, defeated. "I'll ask him. But I don't know what I should say. I want it to be special."

"Dog asked me out by throwing a rock through my window so I don't really have an answer to that." Libby said.

"I'll figure out something. But right now, I need to focus on finding a dress." I turned to the mirror and was blown away at how gorgeous the dress was. It was deep red with thick straps going over the shoulders, then opening up to my bare back. Beaded designs danced over the bodice making it sparkle. An edgy flare was added to it by adding a slit on the right leg.

"I think that's the one." Libby said, joining me in the mirror.

"Yay!" Megan clapped as she hugged us and looked at each other in the mirror with us. "We're going to prom!"

I was nervous to see how this would turn out.

We bought our dresses and went our separate ways, both of them leaving me to decide how I was going to ask Jax.

It was last minute, prom was in a week so I wanted to do it as soon as possible, which means I didn't have time to hire a sky writer or meticulously plan a scavenger hunt. Leaving only myself and limited resources.

It wasn't as much the planning for it as what he would say. I didn't want to make him feel like he was obligated to go, because he wasn't. I was almost perfectly fine with tagging along with Megan. Sometimes I wish I could just read his mind.

I pulled into my driveway and saw a soccer ball soar into the driveway from the backyard. Next thing I knew, Jax was jumping over our fence to retrieve it, making one graceful kick to send it back over the fence, barely noticing me.