Chapter 35

Liam and I walked with the kids through the half crowded airport. Liam was holding Maci's hand and I was pushing Laci in a stroller. It took about five minutes for Liam to get his baggage in and we were standing a bit away from the security. I guess this was it.

Liam crouched down to Maci's level and grabbed her small shoulders, "daddy has to go away for a while again with your uncles."

Maci nodded, but slowly I could see her reaction and it wasn't going to be pretty. Maci flung her arms around Liam's neck and cried, "I don't want you to go daddy."

"I'm sorry baby, but daddy has to go to work." Liam said, a sad look in his eyes. I knew he didn't want to leave just as much as Maci.

She cried in her chest and it broke my heart too. Liam hugged her back firmly and rubbed her back. I fought my own tears because I didn't want him to leave either. Liam stood up and gave me a great big hug and a kiss then kissed Laci several times. He kissed Maci on the forehead and mouthed for me to grab Maci.

I snaked my arms around her waist and after some intense prying, Liam finally got loose. Maci was screaming, crying, and squirming trying to get loose. She just kept screaming for Liam. I could tell that it took everything in him to keep walking and not come running back for her.

I turned around and walked away, ignoring the odd stares that I received from people and the kicking and crying that Maci was doing.

By the time I reached the car Maci had worn herself out and fell asleep. I buckled her into her booster seat and buckled Laci into her car seat before getting in myself. I sat there, didn't start the car or anything. I listened to Laci make her sounds and Maci breathing softly. I needed time to just breathe.

As if on cue my mum called. I answered the phone with a simple, "Hello," because it's all I had the energy to do.

"When are you gonna bring my grand babies over to see me." Mum nagged into the phone and I couldn't help, but to crack a small smile.

"I'm bring them to you right now, I'll stop by the house, get them some clothes. You can keep them all week. Maci doesn't have school for the week for the simple fact that the school flooded." I said starting the car.

"Don't worry about that girl, I have all that. Just bring them over." Mum half shouted and hung up the phone.

I giggled lightly and with a shake of my head I pulled out of the airport parking lot. It took about 40 minutes to get to my mum's house and she was already waiting. I could tell because she walked out just as soon as my car pulled into the driveway.

I got out of the car and gave her a hug. She kissed my forehead then opened the door on Laci's side. She unhooked the car seat and carried it to the house while I worked on getting Maci out of the car. She was half asleep and confused as to where she was.

"Where are we mommy?" Maci asked rubbing her eyes once she stepped out of the car.

I unhooked her booster seat and carried it with us. "We're at grandma Libby's house." I answered as we walked in.

She instantly got excited and ran to mum and gave her a great big hug. I smiled as they loved on each other. Finally Maci was content on playing with mum's dog Abby and Laci was chewing on one of her toys.

I sat and talked to mum for a while and drank some warm tea until she told me I should go home and get some rest because I looked like I was tired. I agreed and gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I gave Maci and Laci both a kiss and then left.

I found myself anxious to get home so I could relax and lay down. Finally I arrived back to the house and I unlocked the door. Once I locked the door behind me, I grabbed a water bottle, walked back to my room and flopped on my bed. 

A sip of my water later and I was fast asleep.