Chapter Twenty - Seam

I didn't know what I was expecting beyond the fence, but I knew this wasn't it. The dilapidated buildings and signs, most for the things I've never heard of before, even when I was in Erudite, before I transferred, this isn't the stuff you learn about, but it seemed fascinating. I had a bag on my back, containing essentials like clothing for the three of us and some extra stuff for Luna, she was more important to me than some other items I had from Dauntless. Eric had his weapon and another bag with his stuff, I held onto Luna, keeping her warm in bundles of clothing.

We had just been out of the fence 10 minutes when a group of people came towards us, Four, Tris and Eric held up their weapons, just in case. But when the people came closer, I froze, recognising one of the people straight away.

"Amar!" I yelled, rushing past everyone towards, I hadn't seen him just before this whole thing had started, but how did he get here? How did he know these people? Amar grinned and opened his arms for me and grasped me tightly as we hugged. I pulled back quickly, so happy to see his face again, the others slowly came up behind me.

"How did you get here?" I asked, still happy but shocked. He grinned and winked at me, not answering the question.

"Come on, I'll get you to the Bureau." Amar said, the woman beside him just looking at us all. As we're walking along, Amar explains the whole thing to us.

"Did you know what this city used to be called? Chicago." Amar answered his own question smugly, and I furrowed my eyebrows, what a weird name. Soon, we come across a huge building that looks to be sectioned off. As we entered, another man came over to greet us, he looked over at Tris with a look of recognition.

"Beatrice Prior? Right?" He said to her and she froze, looking him up and down before nodding, "I knew your mother.." He said, and she deflated, I knew her mother had died not long ago. The guy reached into his pocket and pulled out an old looking photo before handing it to her, he looked over the rest of us.

"Let's get you checked out before we assign you places to live." He looked down at Luna, "Wow, it's been so long since I've seen a baby." He said, waving at Luna with a small smile before walking off, I raise my eyebrow at him, such a weird character. Everything is so weird.

"That's David," Amar said, "He's the leader here." He continued before pulling us to one side and holding out a device, I pulled Luna closer to me and Amar looked over at me with a smile, "Don't worry, nothing will happen, all it does is check if you're a Divergent, or a GD." He said.

"GD?" Eric asked, speaking up.

"Genetically damaged." The woman who came with Amar sneered, as if the words were poison.

"Why is it so important to be Divergent?" I asked, something that was on my mind since this whole war had started, Amar scanned me and Luna.

"GD, both of them." He mumbled to himself before looking me in the eye, "Divergents have the qualities that are most wanted, whilst GD's, have the ones not needed per-say, like greed and low intelligence."

"Ouch." I said, Amar shrugged.

"Brutal, but true." Amar turned to Four and scanned him.

"GD." He said and Four gulped.

"Uh, what?" Four said, "I thought I was Divergent, I mean, I went through the initiation like one, and my tests were inconclusive, and I the injection that Jeanine made didn't work, how am I not Divergent?" He questioned himself. Amar scanned Tris and Eric, Eric being GD whilst Tris obviously coming out as Divergent.

"Nita will take you guys to some rooms." Amar said, "David will probably want to speak to Tris." He said and he and Tris walked off, towards the same direction that David had moments ago, I looked over to Four, nudging him.

"Are you okay?" I asked and he nodded after a while.

"It just doesn't make sense, everything suggested I was Divergent, but my genetics clearly aren't." He whispered. I smiled.

"Welcome to being normal, well, pre-war normal." I said to him and he scoffed playfully.

Nita walked out these houses, some people were already walking around, chatting amongst each other, these must be some more GD's.

"Welcome to paradise." Nita said sarcastically, I looked over to Eric and shrugged. Nita took Four to an empty house first, handing him a key and then took Eric and I to the one next door to it, and handed me a key, "Hope you enjoy you're stay in GD land." She said, before walking away and leaving us to get used to the surroundings.

"Well, at-least it's our own place again, like Dauntless." Eric said. I looked around, glancing at the worn down buildings surrounding us, as long as these don't crumble on us anytime soon, I wouldn't be complaining.

"Why do I feel like we got the short straw?" I ask him, taking the bag off my back, he glanced over at me.

"What do you mean?" He asked, taking Luna away from me. Surprisingly, the house was fully furnished, as if they knew we were coming.

"That just because we're genetically damaged that we live in these terrible houses, and that Tris probably gets a mansion because she's Divergent." I say and he shrugs.

"I'm just happy we're alive right now." Eric laughed but I don't, I continue to look out the window, watching these new people live and thrive.

"Something just doesn't seem right here." I mumble to myself and Eric takes Luna into another room.