Prologue - Against The World

Have you ever had to watch as the world around you crumble, not physically but emotionally and mentally. I was separated from the person I loved most in the world, besides my daughter, and I was stuck in Amity, hiding from nearly everyone, Eric left me here with Luna, knowing that Amity would look after us. I didn't want to ever go back to Erudite so once Eric, Max and some Dauntless, those many call Dauntless traitors, started to work for Erudite, tracking those they call Divergents, people who could fit into more than one faction, and kill them.

It didn't take me long to put this and the night Eric asked me if he did something wrong would I still love him together, he was talking about this.

 He placed me on the floor, my toes barely touching it that is, and he leaned down, kissing me thoroughly. He sighed when he pulled away, leaning his forehead against mine.

"If I did something really bad, but it had a good reasoning, would you hate me, leave me?" He asked, I could hear the vulnerability in his voice.

"It would depend on the reasoning why you did it, if it really was for a good cause, I guess, I wouldn't know until it happened." I said to him, smoothing his hair back, kissing his cheek.

"Ma." I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard Luna call for me, she had started saying ma recently, her first word. It was the only thing she could say properly. She was sat in a high chair, wiggling around. I sighed and picked her up, before taking her out to the fields where I would help the Amity gather their crops, I had to do something to stop my mind from wondering, thinking about Eric.

I placed Luna on the floor beside me as I sat on the floor, picking the vegetables off the plants, placing them into baskets. She was waving her hands around in the air, babbling to herself as I did so. People started murmuring, then that got louder and people started panicking around us, so I looked up, getting onto my knees to look around and see what was happening, I gasped when I saw some vehicles, they looked huge, almost like tanks, coming onto the fields.

I knew it was Dauntless.

But was he in one of those vehicles?

They stopped not too far from us, and I rushed to my feet, picking Luna up and rushing towards the main Amity building, where the leader Joanna would be, she walked out, looking rather panicked, and in the time I've been here, I've never seen her like this, what did she have to hide? I turned in time to see the doors of the vehicles opening. I gasped and tears filled my eyes as I saw Eric climb out of the vehicle, he looked around the fields before turning his attention to us, his eyes softening when he see us there.

"Belle.." He says, rushing over to me and Luna, he wraps his arms around us, pulling us close and hugging us tight, "I've missed you both." He said but I pulled away.

"Eric, what is happening?" I asked, looking around to see other Dauntless soldiers walking around the compound, guns in their hands, Amity people screaming, looking terrified at the guns pointed at them, my tear filled eyes looked back at him, Max coming at his side. He nodded at me but did nothing else.

"We've got orders from Jeanine to look around for Divergents and bring them into custody." Max said, his voice lack of emotion, I sighed and kissed Luna's head, looking away from them both. I see Joanna nod at my side and the soldiers go around with some devices in their hands, they point it at the people and it tells them their aptitudes, I gasp when I see some Divergents within the crowd, then Eric looks up at the building which holds Joanna's office.

"What's up there?" He questions and she stiffens a little before relaxing and answering him, "You wouldn't mind If I took a look?" He asked and she just looks away, he looks over at me before walking into the building. I look around the faction, wondering where everything went downhill.