Chapter Three - Somewhere

I was in the main meeting room for the leaders, Max asked for us all to be here and so far we were, we were just waiting on Max to turn up. None of us knew what was going on, well I couldn't speak for Eric, I had a feeling he knew what was going on but he hasn't told me anything. I was trying to think of all the possibilities when Max walked in, with Jeanine, the Erudite leader. I was confused as to why she was here but didn't question it, yet. Max and Jeanine stood at the end of the table as the rest of us sat, looking towards them.

"Jeanine and I have been talking for a while and we've come upon an agreement that would be good for all factions and people within them." Max started, "Jeanine has all the details." He said, leaving the rest to her, he sat, and looked over to her, she cleared her throat and began talking.

"Divergents, a specific amount of people who have the aptitude to fit into more than one faction, these people are highly dangerous because of this, and we need to take of them, and this is where the new plan comes in on who's in charge of our government. In the recent months, we've had reports that Abnegation have been keeping food, the food that should be split equal between all factions, and hiding it to have more for themselves and that their leader, Marcus Eaton, has been declining in leadership. He's no longer fit to lead our government, which I why I propose this, we take the power forcefully, which is where you come in." She stops, taking out a vial of liquid, holding it up for us all to see.

"This will control all your Dauntless members, even your initiates after they pass their initiation, but here's the catch, it wouldn't work on Divergents, so the ones who don't follow the specific orders you give, those who are different from the crowd, shoot to kill, they're your Divergents." She said, a gleam in her eye.

"You help me gain main leadership of the government, you get a stronger part in the government." She said, looking ruthless, if I knew that she wasn't in any relationship or had any kids, you'd think her and Eric are related, they both had the same ruthless look on their face.

"I'm sorry," I said, causing all eyes to turn to me, "But I'm not putting my daughter in harm for this, I don't want anything to do with it, you can continue, I don't care about anyone else but my daughter, I don't want this to affect her in anyway." I said, shaking my head. Jeanine nods in understanding.

"We'll keep you and your daughter safe, I know Eric would appreciate that." She said, her eyes gliding to him, "I know he's still willing to help, whilst keeping you both safe." I looked over at Eric, before looking at her with a nod. I didn't want to seem thankful, because I knew many people would be dying, but yet, she was helping to keep my daughter safe. That was something I couldn't probably repay.

"Other than that, anything else?" She asked and nobody said anything, seeming to accept it, I looked over at Amar's chair, it was empty, and had been for a while, he was found in the chasm not so long ago, I was so confused, he didn't seem like the type to jump, he had no signs of being depressed or wanting to die, so I was thinking for ages why he would want to die, but I couldn't so I grieved for a while but knew that he was probably in a better place, and he was, he didn't have to see this city now being torn apart, from the inside out.

"Well, then." She said, turning back to Max, "Will you please take my back to my car, we seem to be in an agreement, and I'll expect to see this all go into plan the day after initiation is complete." She said and he nodded, like a compliant submissive.

Later on, Eric and I were back in the Pit, watching the fights.

"Peter versus Tris," Eric said, and I watched the two enter the mat, getting into their stances before starting to fight. I notice Four look at them both wearily. Tris watches him and he goes in for the kill, but she avoids it. He takes a step towards her to punch him, and she hits him in the throat, they start fighting properly but she falls to the ground when he hits her in the jaw.

"Get up." Peter says to Tris, goading her, grinning down at her.

"Come on, stop playing with each other." Eric says, rolling his eyes. Tris gets up, but Peter knocks her down again, she looks up in a daze and I move my head, watching as Four leaves the room, Peter knocks her out, kicking her in the face. She lays on the mat, and Eric makes another initiate take her down to the infirmary. We continue the rest of the fights, marking down the ones who lost and circling the ones who had one their fights, as the initiates leave after that, some of them limping and bruised.

I look over the rankings, sighing when I saw all the names in red, the ones who would probably be leaving, Tris was not going to make it back up that board in time to stay. I rearrange them, looking at the names in the final rankings, Tris was definitely in the red. Eric walks over to me, looking over at the rankings.

"We've got some of the best here." He says

"Not that it'll matter because they'll be under a weird liquid that controls them." I whisper, careful in-case anyone is listening. Eric doesn't say anything.

"I don't care what happens to them, I care about what happens to you and Luna whilst all this is happening." He whispers back to me, leaning towards me, grasping my face in his hands and kissing me slowly. He pulls back and grins.

"Are you ready for a game?" He asked.