Chapter Seven - Sol

It's late at night, Luna is sleeping, I'm holding her as Eric carries two bags full of clothing and stuff for Luna. Jeanine was kind enough to send a car for us to get us to Amity. I climbed in as Eric but the bags in the back, the driver didn't look in my direction or say anything to me. Eric climbed in beside me and closed the door, as soon as that door closes, the driver starts the car and starts driving, leaving my home.

Eric grasps my hand tightly, his fingers linking with mine. I watch the scenery pass as we continue to make our way to Amity. Eric clears his throat, causing me to turn my head to face him. He smiles a little, leaning over to kiss my cheek.  He looks down at Luna, who's still sleeping. I move her in my arms, and he take's hold of her, keeping her close to his chest, he leans his down, as if he's completely protecting her against the world, and in a twisted way, he is.

She shuffles but stays asleep. I see his eyes glisten, his eyes watering, fighting off the tears. His lips are pressed to her forehead, he keeps them there, his eyes looking at the dystopia that is now Chicago. He pulls back and looks down at her, his eyes moving to look at her features, as if keeping them to memory.

In the distance, I start to see wooden structures and fields for what seems like miles, and I knew that we were coming up on Amity. 

I turn to face Eric, and he moves Luna back to me, moving his hand into his hands, I know he knows that this is wrong, but there's a part of him that wants this, because he has a fear of loosing control and him being in this situation can help him stay in control.

My hands wrapped around the stick shift

Swerving on the 405, I can never keep my eyes

Off this

I look over at Eric, he picks his head up and looks over at me, moving his hand to grasp mine, my ring twinkling in the moonlight.

My neck, the feeling of your soft lips

Illuminated in the light, bouncing off the exit signs

I missed

He leans over to me, his face coming oh so close to mine, our lips just, only just, touching, I can feel his breath wave over my face.

All we do is drive

All we do is think about the feelings that we hide

All we do is sit in silence waiting for a sign

I move my gaze from his lips and to his eyes, the blue and the brown meeting again, for what seemed like the final time.

Sick and full of pride

All we do is drive

Rain starts to pour, the windshield wipers start, moving across the windshield, making their annoying sound of movement as they move back and forth, back and forth.

And California never felt like home to me

Until I had you on the open road and now we're singing

The rain seems to add to the mood, giving it a more romantic feel, his lips meet mine and I sigh in bliss against his lips.

Your laugh, echoes down the hallway

Carves into my hollow chest, spreads over the emptiness

It's bliss

I didn't want to leave my home, running seemed cowardly, I didn't like this but I knew I had to protect my baby, and if that meant joining some hippy faction until this was over, I could deal with the drugged up bread for the time being, I just wished there was some other way this could be sorted out, not some sort of mass-killing because a middle-aged lady felt threatened and wanted more power than she already had.

It's so simple but we can't stay

Overanalyze again, would it really kill you if we kissed?

Eric pulls his lips away from mine, looking at my face up close, like he had done with Luna, he was memorizing my face. He didn't know how long this would last either, I just hoped none of us got hurt whilst we was apart, that was my true fear.

All we do is drive

All we do is think about the feelings that we hide

All we do is sit in silence waiting for a sign

Sick and full of pride

All we do is drive

The car suddenly stops, making me lean to one side as is stops forcefully. I leave Eric's gaze, looking out the car window to see that we've stopped outside the main Amity building, Joanna, the Amity leader is stood outside, her hands together in-front of her, a bright smile on her face, I turn back to Eric, his face clear but his eyes broken.

And California never felt like home to me

Until I had you on the open road and I was singing

He opens the car door on his side, stepping out into the rain, opening the boot of the car, taking out my bags. There was no sound except from the rain and the windshield wiper moving back and forth, after Eric gets the bags, he opens my door, holding out his hand to me, I slowly get out, placing my hand in his. I keep my other arm around Luna, she's still sleeping soundly.

The rain hits me as Eric and I move closer to Joanna, she's still smiling widely.

"Welcome to Amity." She says, looking between us both, "It's so nice to have you here." She continues. I look over to Eric, he's just staring at her, not used to the happiness that an Amity gives out, I look back at her with a small smile.

"I don't think I can thank you enough for this." I say and she shakes her head.

"I may not know what happening, due to the lack of communication between all the leaders, but I will help you and you're little one and help keep you safe." She says, then looks over to Eric, "You may come any time, but do not cause any harm to the people that reside here, please." Eric nods, but it looks forced.

Joanna smiles, "I'll give you two a couple of minutes." She says, moving into the building, I watch her for a moment, noticing the stables before the spiral staircase. I turn my head back to Eric, his hands moving to cup my face, he leans his forehead against mine.

"Don't come back to me drugged up please, it'll be weird seeing you so happy and joyful." He whispers and I laugh, shaking my head.

"The city is about to go to war with each other and you're worried about me." I continue to laugh

He grins, "I'll always worry about you." He then frowns, kissing my forehead, his arms moving to wrap around my body, and Luna, keeping us close one last time. He pulls back really quickly, kissing my lips hard, then pulls away again, removing his arms from me.

"I have to go now, I have to get back before people other than the leaders get suspicious, everything will be happening after the final test tomorrow, then once everything happens, promise me you'll stay here where it's safe." He explains, his expression begging me to promise him.

"I promise I'll stay, as long as you promise that you'll come back for us." I say and he nods, his jaw clenching, he kisses me one last time before walking away, leaving me standing in the rain holding our sleeping daughter.