Chapter Nine - King

"Tobias Eaton." Jeanine's voice echoes throughout the room, her stance showing confidence and power. She looks over at Tris.

"And you, Beatrice." She pauses, her lips pursing, "I thought it was intellect I was sensing in you."

Four scoffs, "Maybe you're not as smart as you think you are."

"Why are you attacking all these innocent people?" Tris demands an answer, Jeanine looks shocked, as if Tris didn't know herself that the Abnegation were terrible people; Jeanine's own opinion on the faction.

"Innocent people? Abnegation, if left unchecked, will destroy the faction system," Jeanine's voice raising a little, "Same can be said for the both of you. Somebody has to stop you, if we don't, peace will be lost." She argues.

"It has already been lost, you destroyed it." Four says, causing Jeanine to clench her jaw.

"Human nature destroyed it. Those of us with the vision to see that are called upon to protect the rest." Jeanine, stands from her seat, her hands brushing off the non-existent dust from her outfit, "We will restore peace, and this time, it will last."

"And what if you're wrong?" Tris questions her, Jeanine doesn't reply, she looks at Tobias for a moment, then to her guards.

"Bring him with us." She commands and the guards grab at Four, each of them at his arms, keeping him still as he tries to fight them off. Jeanine walks over to Tris, touching Tris' gun wound, making Tris wince in pain.

Jeanine sighed, almost sympathetically, "She's injured, then her results would be unclear, you can get rid of her." She dismisses, she then turns to Four who tries to attack her but the guards stop him, knocking him down.

"Come on," The guard says, dragging Four to Jeanine's car, he looks at Tris as he's being taken away. Tris is guided to a quiet spot, to be executed, just as a guard is about to shoot, they're shot and killed. Tris looks up to see her mother running towards her.

"Beatrice!" Her mother yells, Tris stands

"Mum?"

"Beatrice!" Her mother yells again, she reaches Tris, she reaches down and takes one of the knives from the guards, cutting Tris' bondage from her wrists.

"Okay, now we've got to run." Tris' mother tells her, they both start running off, Tris picks up one of the guns from the guards. A thought goes through Tris' head, she turns to her mother.

"You were Dauntless?" She questions, her mother just smiles at her.

"Served me well today." Tris' mother says as she strokes Tris' hair.

"Is Dad okay?" Tris asks and her mother nods

"Yeah, he led a group over to Monroe in the State, we're going to meet him there." As she talks, Dauntless members are running over to them.

"We need to go." Tris' mother says, and they both turn and run from the crowd of Dauntless. The Dauntless shoot at them, Tris notices a familiar face, Will, one of the initiates she had trained with. Will is point his gun right at them.

"Will!" Tris yells, pleading for him to hear her, "Will!" Will doesn't respond because of the sim, he starts to shoot.

"Will! Stop!" He continues to shoot, Tris' breath is shaky, she points her gun at him and shoots, almost crying because she never wanted to hurt a friend, even as someone as close to Christina. The shot kills him, Tris' stops breathing for a moment, Tris' mother is saying that she needs to go, but it's all a blur, Tris continues to look at Will's dead body.