Chapter Twelve - Kingdom

Not long after changing into my Dauntless clothing, Eric had got Luna and I into an vehicle, climbing in beside us and taking us to Erudite, I sighed, seeing my old faction that I hadn't been in since I had left when I had transferred to Dauntless years ago. Erudite seemed busier, with the amount of people both from Erudite and Dauntless now inhabiting within the compound, Jeanine must've had to build more homing for the capacity of people. Dauntless soldiers were at every corner, rushing around to do Jeanine's bidding.

"Listen, I managed to get a place, pretty spacious for us all to live in, in-case something like this happened, and you'll be guarded constantly, not that there isn't camera's in every corridor, but whilst I'm out, you'll both be protected." Eric explained, leaning over to me. I nod.

"What is Jeanine doing with the Divergents?" I ask him and he shakes his head.

"The less you know the better." He tells me, leaning away from me and looking straight ahead, soon the vehicle stops outside a big, clean looking building. Eric opens his door and rushing over to my head, helping me out without dropping Luna. He grabs my hand and gets someone to bring in my bags, a guard nods before instructing someone else to get them and carry them behind us. As Eric walks, taking me with him, Jeanine pops out of nowhere, a small smile on her face.

"Well, Hello Belle, it's nice to see you," Her eyes move to Luna, "And your daughter, she's so adorable." She coos as Luna turns her head to look at her. I smile a little.

Jeanine looks over at Eric, "How did it go at Amity?" She asks

"Tris and Four was there but they managed to get to a moving train before I could detain them, we had got some Divergents in custody, one died though because they started an attack on one of the soldiers." He explained and she nodded,

"Hopefully one of them is the one." She says cryptically, but he seems to understand, she walks away without another word, a person with a smaller tablet in his hand following her around. Eric leads me to this housing he has, and he wasn't lying, it was just like our home at Dauntless, it was like he had time to prepare this, knowing we would end up here. My bags turn up a minute later, and I put Luna down on the sofa, looking around, it was creepy, how identical everything was.

Eric is stood by the door, looking over at me.

"What?" I ask him, and he shakes his head.

"I need to go to Candor tonight, I know for a fact they are there, and I don't know how things will go, so I need you to promise me that no matter what, you won't pull some suicide act and come over to Candor, not even for me." He states, walking over to me and getting in my face, no emotion on his face. I gulp before nodding, "Good, I need you alive to look after Luna, I can deal with getting hurt, but I wouldn't be able to deal with you or her getting caught in this, you're protected and put away here for a reason."

"Will you at-least promise me to not die." I ask him and he shakes his head

"I don't think I can, if I get cornered by them, and they're set on killing me, I'm not going to be a coward about it." He says as my eyes water, he's basically telling me that if he gets caught, there's a chance he will die and I wouldn't know.

"Just please, promise me." I beg and he nods, "Say it."

"I promise to not die." He says, but I know he's only saying it for my sake, we both know that there's a chance after tonight, that we wouldn't see each other, ever again, and I know I thought it last time, but I knew this time it was a definite possibility. I knew personally, that Eric was after Four, it was like a vendetta.

He wrapped his arms around me, rocking us back and forth. He kisses my forehead, keeping his lips there for a while, his eyes on Luna as she babbles and waves her arms and legs around. I pull back and grab his face, putting my lips on his as the salty tears fall down my face. One of his hands grasps at my hair, tugging it a little. My hands move from his face to his arms, grasping, holding on to him, hoping to keep him close, not let him leave.

But he pulled away, avoiding my eyes. He walks over to Luna and grabs a hold of her, hugging her and kissing her cheeks before putting her back down and walking out, without a goodbye or a look towards me. More tears fall down my face but it's silent, apart from the noises Luna keeps making.

"Ma, ma, ma, ma.." She chanted, kicking her legs against the sofa. Thump, thump, thump, thump.

I turn to face her, she's looking over at me innocently, she doesn't know that her dad could possibly die from doing his job, she doesn't know that there's a chance she could grow up in a war zone. I wipe my face, trying to stop the tears falling down my face.

I moved to sit beside her, wondering when the world seemed so damaged enough that we needed something like this to happen, I couldn't believe that everyone was killing each other over a simple mistake in genetics. War was all down to genetics.