Fly

The metal is cold but honestly, I bet the water below is even colder. This is my choice and for once in my life, it's only me who can make it. If I am to die, (I hate that word. It sounds terrible when I say it aloud) I would want it to be at my own hands, under my own control. Not Margery's or anyone else's. I've decided. It's time. My grip loosens and I feel... calm.

That feeling is taken from me before I even get to experience it. It is taken by the sounds of explosion and the screams of children.
"Oh God... The orphanage!"
The orphanage down the street had burst into flames and I could see the terror in the eyes of the children who were trapped above the flames. I couldn't think. I just ran. The flames didn't scare me. Actually, they were almost.... beckoning.
I see a girl and a boy, maybe five years old, standing on the stairs just screaming. They sound so far away. I grab them and run. I don't know how many children I grabbed after that. I lost count. All I remember is screaming and the tingling pinprick feeling of my burning flesh. I remember saving the last one and collapsing on the burning floor. I remember blood curdling screams escaping my mouth and then I fell still. I could feel everything, see everything, and... What was that?
I saw through the window outside a flash of lightning, but it was different. I never heard it and when it finished in lingered; twinkling, sparkling, shimmering on its way down. It felt something inside me change. I felt like my body wasn't the only thing on fire. My soul was too. This was amazing, but... was this death? Just then, feeling came back to me. A rush of relief right before utter exhaustion. Wet. Water. It was raining, but there were no clouds. The roof had burned in and collapsed around me, revealing the sky.
I felt arms slip under my knees and behind my shoulders. The person radiated calm, something I admired at a time like this. I turned slightly and I saw his face covered by a green mask.
"I'm so sorry" he mumbled under his breath. I still couldn't move. Oh, he thought I was dead.
He set me on the cool pavement. Anything cooler than the fire is freezing to me now.
I saw three more people after him.
There was a girl who wore blue. She was putting out the fire, but I couldn't see were she was getting the water. It seemed as though she were almost conjuring it through... powers.
There was another boy who wore white. He forced the smoke in the air into a vortex; sending it up into the atmosphere.
How? I was so confused. They were real, the masked guardians. They were real.
Finally, there was a woman. She told them what to do as if she were...teaching them.
They're students and that's their mentor.
I finally saw the boy who saved me again. He was the strongest of them all, running in looking for anyone left. I was the only one he ever pulled out. "Thank god, I got them all." I thought.
I watched them, mesmerized by their existence. When all was done, the boy in the green mask looked over to me.
"She was the only one to die." He told the others.
"She ran in and pulled everyone out before we got here. She saved them and gave her life for them."
"Pine, I'm sorry. We can't save everyone." Said the girl in blue.
Pine what an interesting name.
"I know River, but she deserved to live."
Just then, I felt a rush of energy come back to me for a split second. The pain of my burns melted away.
"Look!" The boy in white called.
My wounds were healing in front of my eyes and theirs.
I shot up quick, gasping for air. I looked at them. They were staring almost frightened at my hand. I looked down. It was... on fire! But, it didn't hurt. It was beautiful and I was doing it of my own will. Suddenly, all energy left me and the fire went out. My world started to fade. The last thing I saw was Pine running to my side catching my head before it hit the ground. I felt him slide his arms under me and pick me up. I faded in and out of consciousness and I saw my world fade away to nothing but darkness...

To be continued...
Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed my second chapter of Elementals. Next chapter coming soon;)
~❤️Mady