Chapter 19 - Blood (hum gross)

"He appeared to you?" Helen withdrew from her daughter and stood.

Parris carried Cass to a grassy patch near the stone circle. He set her down.

"He called me daughter." Cass mumbled into Parris's chest.

Helen turned her back to them. "You are his daughter...all this time and he appeared to you."

"He said to turn around. I'm always so involved in watching my dreaming visions I do forget to look around."

"You can try. God's speak in riddles and half truths, it most likely isn't literal." Helen rubbed her arms and looked down at her daughter.

"He was beautiful." Cass sighed. Her head was light and fuzzy. She was tired.

Her mom reached into a bag and pulled out an energy bar. Cass almost laughed at the sound of the wrapper breaking through morning calm. Just a regular energy bar.

Cass ate it, it was the best thing she had ever eaten.

Back at the house they changed out of the tunics. Cass just sat on the bed and stared in a daze. Her mind was working on overload to process everything. Her limbs felt heavy.

The smell of bacon helped her to snap out of her day dream and head towards the tempting aroma.

Cass walked slowly down the hallway. She could hear the clinking of plates and glasses. The sounds of everyday life, happy noises that were normal.

Parris handed her a glass of fresh orange juice. He clinked his glass to hers. "Cheers."

"Breakfast smells wonderful mom."

Helen kept facing the stove but replied, "Thank you."

Once their bellies were full they sat at table. Helen spoke first. "We should visit Magna tomorrow. You look too tired to go today. Looks like you might have a limit after all."

"Magna?"

"She might be able to help. She is the only one I know whose soul mate is living."

That information sat in the air. What happens to mystics and their soul mates? At every turn answers just led to more questions. Cass looked at Parris, could he really help with answers? What was going to happen to him because of her.

Helen gave the kids space for most of the day. Everyone was quiet, reflecting on the mornings events.

As evening fell Cass spoke with Parris. "This is all so crazy. Would you really be willing?" She drew circles on his palm, and watched herself make patterns so she wouldn't have to make eye contact. After everything she was still unsure of him, of them.

"Most of your visions happen at night right? So I think I should be your nightcap. Maybe you could see Ann's poisoner and my attacker."

"It's worth a try." It sounded so strange.

"Definitely." He laughed, took her hands in his and kissed them.

She smiled, "But so gross!"

"Yes it is." He paused for a moment. "I don't have anything, if that's what you are worried about."

"I hadn't even thought about it. Wow, I just don't believe we are sitting here in Greece talking about me drinking your blood."

"Tasting. I don't think you'll need a whole glass."

She punched his arm. "We only had our first date a few days ago."

"Three days but who's counting?" He draped his arm around her. "Would have been weeks ago if someone hadn't been so determined to stay away from me."

Cass felt flushed. She put her head on his arm. "Let's watch a movie and talk about something else."

You've Got Mail, was just what they needed. But neither could focus on it, thinking about bedtime.

Helen gave Cass a hairpin. "It helps to not think about it too much. Just a quick strike and draw a droplet."

Cass looked at the pin in her hand. "Got it."

Helen rested her hand on Cass's arm. "Good luck tonight in the spirit world."

Parris stood in the doorway of Cass's room. His palms were sweating and his heart was running fast.

Helen left when he stepped into the room.

Cass sat back on the bed and drew the covers over her legs. "Ready?"

He sat next to her on the bed. "Before you pass out in a vision on me. I wanted to say goodnight properly."

He pulled her close so there chests were touching and kissed her. Cass wove her fingers through his hair pulling him closer. It was a wonderful first real kiss.

They broke apart. He took the hairpin from Cass and pricked his finger. "Sweet dreams Cass."

"You too Parris." The red dot came closer and closer to her lips. Before she had time to register the taste she passed into the spirit world.