Chapter 16 - Balance

Jake's birth mother was an Oracle.

Cass's really wasn't sure what else to ask. This was not what she had expected. The website Parris had found indicated Jake was born in Greece - but his mom was an Oracle? "What can you tell us about her?"

Helen crossed her legs and took a bite of sandwich. "I don't know really what to say about her. She had a son and placed him with a foster family."

"Was there any reason he was placed with Ann?"

"She was willing, that is all I know."

"Do you know who might want to poison her?"

"You had the vision, you should be able to tell me."

"I can't control what the visions show me." Cass picked at a fingernail.

"Well, I know very little about Ann. No idea who would want to bring her harm. The boy on the other hand. There are many who would harm him, if they knew of him."

"Why? He's just an ordinary kid."

The corner of Helen's lip curled up, "He is ordinary. But that fact that he exists would call into question the balance."

"The balance?"

"Oracles are special and as such we have strick impressions of what we should and shouldn't do. Virgins are thought to be able to perceive the future better. If we do have a child, they are girls who will take our place. So Jake should not have been."

"Why did you have me?" Cass couldn't help asking.

"I was selfish and wanted a normal life. I should have known it wouldn't last."

"So Jake's foster family, that's why you knew about the town?"

"Her son had been safe there for many years, I thought you might be too. We are only blessed with one child, the toll on our bodies is too great." Helen looked to the sea. "I wanted you to have more than me. To be more than the order and of visions."

"Does the order know about me?"

"Yes. They do not know you are my daughter but they have seen you in the spirit world and have been searching for you."

"Why bring us here?"

"This land has powers. It can help you find your own power. I brought you both because now that you have found him it is unlikely your true powers will be revealed without him. Which is my guess at your vision of him. You desire to unlock that power. His blood can help."

Parris stood. "Hold it! What? Cass you've had visions of me?"

Oh crap. Cass knew she'd have to tell him. She had wanted to yesterday but it wasn't the right time and now...awkward.

Helen stood. "I'll give you guys a few moments."

Cass was left alone on the veranda with Parris. He did not look happy.

I'm pushing myself to post a chapter a day - I hope you liked this one. If it's off please tell me, I struggled with the edit.

Some crazy stuff will happen in the next few chapters. I'm getting excited for more answers, fingers crossed Cass can save Ann and Parris! -LM