It was funny.

I turned back to my own washing up, hiding the small smile on my face - just in case.

"So I never asked you your name?" Devan commented, looking after me with curiosity in his gaze. I grabbed a new plate, deliberating in my answer.

I didn't even get to answer myself in the end.

"Eden!" a voice boomed through the room. I squeaked and jumped around, eyes wide and breaths short as I latched eyes with my mate. His face looked relieved.

"Oh thank the goddess!" he exclaimed, "I thought I'd lost you!"

He sounded so anguished that my heart stung with his concern.

"S-sorry!" I stuttered, fear replacing wonder.

His eyes softened instantly and he smiled, moving around to a draw behind me. I flinched away, and stared at the cloth he brought out with wide eyes. Instead of carrying out the thoughts running wild in my head, he merely grabbed a clean plate and began wiping away the droplets of water.

My relief was palpable.

"A good Luna helps out her pack mates, I'm proud of you." He told me.

I blushed at the praise, wholly unexpected but not entirely unwelcome.

"Thanks," I muttered quietly, almost inaudible, but I knew he heard it.

"L-luna!" Devan spluttered, "I'm sorry Alpha! I didn't know she was your mate!"

Cesare chuckled, startling me a little, for I had been expecting numerous other outcomes.
"Don't worry Devan, all is well." He reassured him.

My predications were too far askew for me to be comfortable. Cesare said I was safe, but how safe can I be if I can't even predict what will happen next?

Regardless of my confusion, I hurried with the dishes, knowing that Cesare would want me to do it as quickly as possible.

"Hey, hey, hey, you can slow down," He commented, "This isn't a race!"
I nodded and deliberately slowed my pace, tense as I wondered what speed he required. What if I was too slow this time? Would he get angry with me?

He sighed.

"When are you not terrified out of your wits?" he asked, sounding exhausted. I frowned, and glanced up at him with curiosity but couldn't quite meet his eyes. I'm supposed to fear the Alpha, it's how the system of hierarchy worked.

I shrugged in response to him, afraid to show such a nonchalant gesture but afraid to use words in case he didn't want an actual answer. It was an endless trap that I fell into every time.

Cesare, however, merely looked sad and troubled, continuing to dry the dishes instead of delivering the anticipated punishing blows. I followed his lead and continued as if I hadn't committed an offence.
"How old are you Eden?" He asked, eyes not looking at me directly, instead staring intently at the cutlery he was wiping.

"Eighteen," I replied meekly, handing him a new plate. When our hands touched the bond jolted and I almost fell into him with the force of attraction. I held myself rigid, mind running wild with the new danger of this temptation.

I shouldn't take what I don't deserve.

"I'm twenty three," he informed me, "Does that worry you?"

I started, gazing up at him with wide eyes, breath catching with the intensity of his own gaze. I quickly looked away. He was asking of my opinion?

"I-I don't...no? I, um, I don't think so?" I replied. It had not crossed my mind.