Taking Bullets and Getting Promotions

I would rather adjust my life to your absence than adjust my boundaries to accommodate your disrespect.

"Dodge, look out!" Kat yelled as she jumped in front of her best friend and took a bullet to her shoulder.

"Kat!" Dodge exclaimed as Losh shot the gunman.

"God, dammit! Why'd it have to have to be my shoulder?" Kat exclaimed in an enraged tone.

"Really? Why did it have to be your shoulder? Why'd you have to get shot in the first place, is the better question!" Dodge yelled as he threw her over his shoulder, and their squadron made a run for the HUMVEE.

"I've been shot before," Kat replied calmly as she applied pressure to her shoulder, and Dodge tossed her in the back seat.

"Dude, can you stop making the rest of us look like wimps for one day?" Losh chuckled as he took off back to base, and Dodge radioed in that Kat had been hit.

"What would be the fun in that?" Kat smirked in response.

"You know, sometimes I wonder if you're even human," Dodge joked as they hit a bump and Kat cringed.

"Oh yeah, I'm totally Captain America," Kat joked back and seemed relieved when she could see the base.

"Hey, at least now you get to go home early," Losh smiled.

"Oh yeah, and then once I'm done with rehab, they'll make me a recruiter. I'm not built for life in an office, Losh. I need to be on the front lines with you guys," Kat sighed.

"I'm sure if you petition the Bones to approve you for active duty, they will approve it," Dodge replied.

"Oh yeah, and until then, I get to eat asino morto, 5 fingers of death, admiralty fish, cigarette soup, and shit on a shingle? No, thank you!" Kat exclaimed.

"You could go home while all the paperwork is processed and go back to school," Attleboro replied from the front with Losh.

"In all respect, Sir, if I go home and go back to school, I'm not going to want to come back," Kat sighed, thinking about JJ.

"No matter what, Watt, you still have to go home for rehab, and there may be something I can do for you when you get home, but I won't be able to tell you about it until then" Attleboro smirked.

"Only because I'm in serious pain and sort of trust you will I trust you on this one," Kat hissed as the HUMVEE slammed to a stop outside the medical tent.

"Alright. Private First Class Watt, let's get you into surgery and sent home" one of the doctors smiled as they helped her out of the vehicle.

"Call me Kat. It's a lot shorter" Kat smiled as they set her on a gurney.

"Alright, Kat, you can call me Justin," Doctor O'Hara replied.

"How about I call you Doc because my husband's name is Justin" Kat chuckled.

"Sounds like a deal. Saw those wedding pictures of yours the other year when y'all got married. You looked beautiful" Doc smiled at Kat as one of the nurses attempted to give her general anesthesia.

"Thanks and Budrow, just give me morphine. I want to be awake for this because I can't stand to be put under," Kat replied as she caught the needle.

"Kat, just let her give you the anesthesia," Dodge stated, stepping in.

"Fine, continue," Kat sighed, letting go of the needle.

"Thank you, Son," Doc thanked Dodge.

"No problem, Doc. I've spent the last two years with this one and her husband, so I figured you'd need some help because she would do something like this," Dodge smiled.