Graduation Day

The way you speak to yourself matters.

The smoke signals created a wall that kept the families in the stands from seeing the platoons that stood behind it. As the music began, you could vaguely hear the marching Marines' footsteps, and the stands fell silent in anticipation.

Kat marched with her squadron and had to work her hardest to keep a straight face because all she could think about was how excited she was to see JJ. She hadn't told anyone that they were sending her to North Carolina for ITC because she couldn't tell them that kind of news in a letter. It had to be done face to face.

She sucked in a deep breath as the fog cleared enough for her to see the stands, and she couldn't hold the straight face anymore. A broad grin made its way to her face, and she silently scanned the large stands for her and JJ's family, but she spotted his perfect smile before anyone else.

 A broad grin made its way to her face, and she silently scanned the large stands for her and JJ's family, but she spotted his perfect smile before anyone else

"Damn," Kat whispered as she stared at her husband, remembering surviving on the memory of his smile throughout Basic.

"What?" Her friend Dodge asked without looking down at her as they continued to march forward.

"I can see my husband, and damn does he look good!" Kat whispered with a huge smile on her face that she was trying to hide.

"I see her!" JJ exclaimed as he spotted her smile that made his smile even broader.

"Where?" Jacob asked, causing JJ to point to her.

She was surrounded by men because barely any women could stand the intense training they went through for three months. You would have thought that she would be easier to spot in the mass of men because she was the only woman in her platoon, but in uniform, she blended right in.

Her smile was what allowed you to spot her in the sea of men. It was a bright, perfect smile that showed how truly happy she was to have made it this far. This had been her lifelong dream, and Kat made it come true.

 This had been her lifelong dream, and Kat made it come true

She had talked to her superior. After finishing ITC, she would attend UT online if she was deployed after specialized training.

She didn't let her smile waver because she knew that everyone would support her decision. As they came to a stop, she could see all of her family and the pride on their faces.