Popping the Question

Logophile (noun): a lover of words.

"Justin, you need to put a ring on that young woman's finger soon," my mom spoke from beside me while I watched Kat mingle with the guests with a sweet smile on her lips.

"Mom, we've only been together for four months now," I responded, not taking my eyes off Kat, making me blush a little.

"Son, don't act like you haven't been looking at rings already. You're in love with her, and she's in love with you," she replied, looking at me, making my face grow a deeper shade of red.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see she was giving me her knowing look. I smiled as I looked at the ground because she was right. I had been looking at rings, but I knew Kat wasn't ready for it. I'd wait to marry Kat when she was in a place where she was prepared to settle down.

"She's 19 and has her career planned out

"She's 19 and has her career planned out. She wants to finish college and get set in a career she loves before settling down, Mom," I replied, looking at her, trying to remain patient and not jump the gun.

"Justin, you can always have a long engagement," she smiled, looking up at me.

"Kat and I have talked about it before. When we get engaged, she doesn't want it to be for more than a year," I explained, remembering the conversation we had our weekend away.

"Son, she may have said that, but for you, she'd do a long engagement. Plus, she's thinking of transferring out to a University in Texas," Chaplain Hurley commented, walking up on my left, making me jump a bit.

"Sir, I couldn't let her do that! She's always wanted to go to ASU, and giving up that dream isn't like her," I argued, looking down at him, confused with the sudden change.

"JJ, she's always sacrificing her dreams for others. Originally, she was going to become a Marine, but she gave that up for her family's peace of mind. I fought her tooth and nail to not give up her dream, but when she sets her mind to something, nothing can change her mind," Johnny replied, looking up at me, with eyes telling me more than he was saying.

"Kat would have made an amazing Marine." Mom commented, looking past me to Johnny, as I realized I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I kept Kat from pursuing the Marines.

"Johnny, she needs to get into the Marines. The day I met her, I could see that she wants to serve her country. If Kat doesn't, she'll regret it and always wonder what her life would be like if she had," I spoke, looking back across the backyard to her, envisioning Kat as a Marine.

"All of us think it, JJ," Marshall commented, walking up to our growing group, that was bound to catch Kat's attention.

"Then why would she give it up?" I asked again, getting frustrated for her.

"She doesn't want us worrying about her safety," Jacob replied, walking up as well, shrugging his shoulders.

"How do you even know what we're talking about? You were on the other side of the yard! You too, Marshall!" I exclaimed in confusion, realizing where Kat's brothers were before jumping into the conversation.