Starting Their Journey

My entire life, I was told I was "too sensitive" and that it was something I should "work on." People would say it as if there was something wrong with me as if feeling things as deeply as I did just wasn't normal. And for a really long time, I believed them. I began apologizing every time my eyes would water. I began pretending that I wasn't touched by certain things or moments when I really was. I tried to "work on" my sensitivity. Tone it down. Change it. But no matter what I tried, nothing ever worked. Why? Because being sensitive was just who the fuck I was. This is just who the fuck I AM. And over time, I came to realize that there was never anything wrong with me, to begin with. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a heart that works. -Cici B.

"Babe, go to the press conference with me!" JJ called from our bathroom, and I could already hear the puppy-dog look in his voice.

"Why?" I called back, already knowing JJ liked showing me off.

"Because they'll want to see my beautiful fiancé with me!" He answered, opening up the bathroom door, with his smile, I couldn't say no to on his face.

"We haven't even announced to the public that we're engaged. That would be kind of a bombshell to drop when we got there," I smirked, trying not to laugh or give in to JJ.

"Please!" He begged, giving me his best puppy dog eyes, sauntering to the edge of the bed.

"Babe, I was going to go look at a few houses, though," I answered, not moving from the bed, already knowing I was going to cave.

"It can wait," he whispered, leaning over me, sending a thrilling chill through my body.

"Fine!" I exclaimed, pushing him so I could get up, even though I wanted to pull him down to me.

"Yes!" He smiled as I walked into the closet to grab something to wear, and I knew he was dancing around like a goof.

I got ready in a couple of minutes, and then we were in the truck and on our way for the interview. We finally pulled into the arena parking lot, and I got too nervous. It was one thing to have my picture taken when I was out with JJ, but an interview sent my anxiety into overdrive.

"I don't think I can do this, JJ," I said quietly as we walked towards the players' entrance, trying not to stop dead in my tracks

"It'll be fine! No matter what, I'll be by your side," he smiled down at me, trying to make me feel better.

I sucked in a deep breath and followed him inside. As we walked through the stadium, I got flashes of memories from my summer here. We walked into the press room, and I stood back while JJ walked towards the mics. I never understood how anyone could be as confident as JJ was in front of the camera.

 I never understood how anyone could be as confident as JJ was in front of the camera