Give Me a Chance

In the future, I don't want to say, "I wish I had done better," I want to say, "I knew I could and see, I DID."

JJ's POV

It's been a week since I've seen Kat, and she's been on my mind a lot. I keep catching glimpses of her, or I think I do, and every time I turn to go after her, she's gone. I know where she works out; how could it be this hard to run into her again?

I don't think I've ever worked out as much as I have this past week with the gorgeous blonde in my head

I don't think I've ever worked out as much as I have this past week with the gorgeous blonde in my head. When I start to give up on something I'm doing, her image pops into my head, and it makes me work harder. I had maybe a five-minute conversation with her, and she managed to occupy my thoughts continuously.

"JJ, don't kill yourself! It's the offseason for a reason!" Coach exclaimed as I continued to push myself on the bench press, engrossed in thoughts of Kat.

"I can't get better if I slack off, Coach O'Brien!" I yelled when I racked the weight, trying to keep my thoughts to myself.

"Son, you've never worked out this hard while on this team than you have this week. What's going on?" Bill questioned, standing in front of me like a parent would.

"The night of Jim's party, I came here to work out, but I wasn't the only one here. There was this girl here, and she's been on my mind ever since. Whenever I start to quit, she pops in my head, and it makes me keep going," I replied as I wiped my face and hands, confessing what was going on with me.

"Oh yeah! Jim told me about a girl he is allowing to workout here. I think he said her name is Kat. What's so special about this college girl?" Bill asked quizzically, remembering what I had always said about dating.

"I don't know! She just seemed so intelligent, athletic, and amazing! I just want the chance to see Kat one more time and ask her on a date!" I exclaimed, and as I finished, I heard the gym door slam shut, causing my heart to clench, thinking one of my teammates had heard me.

"You've got your chance to do just that, Justin James Watt," a silky voice stated from directly behind me, making my heart want to leap out of my chest.

As I whipped around, I discovered the 5'6", blonde-haired, green-eyed woman standing right behind me. Kat looked at me with amusement in her eyes as she analyzed my face waiting for me to say something in her response to her boldness.