"Most people don't," she smiled, "They think Micah had the injection. It's a forgivable mistake really. Most people underestimate the power of a mother's love for their child."

"Your mother gave you the serum?"

"Yes. She had hoped that her work with the vampire blood would lead to a cure for my leukemia. But, when the break out happened and there was a hoard of V-3s hammering on her laboratory door, she took the multi billion pound vial of serum and injected it into me. It was enough to save me... but not her."

There was sadness in Cassandra's voice. Her eyes went glassy and her gaze lowered to the floor.

She must have felt powerless when the V-3's broke into her mother's lab and tore her mother pieces.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered.

Cassandra nodded appreciatively and replied, "It was a long time ago."

I couldn't imagine the horror Dr. Tessa Logan had felt when her experiments tore through the research labs in Cumbria, killing all her work colleagues and turning them into monsters.

Cassandra pawed at her eyes and to my surprise, Micah went to her.

He slid his arms around her waist and pulled her against him, gently rocking her from side to side. She looked up at him with adoring eyes and kissed his mouth.

I froze - confused and annoyed.

Cassandra saw my expression and explained, "Micah was bitten by one of the v-4s. But when he transformed he had no abnormalities just like the v-0s. We've been together ever since"

There was ungodly howl from outside the building and the smile on Cassandra's face disappeared. The whole of her face screwed up in pain and she grabbed the lapels of Micah's jacket and cried, "They're killing my babies. I can feel them screaming to me."

Micah supported her, holding her close to him. "Scatter them, Cassie. Don't keep them all together."

"They're killing," she cried.

"Who are?"

"The old one and her boyfriend," Cassandra said, looking at me.

The warehouse door burst opened and Michael appeared. He took one look at me and ran straight towards me at full vampire speed.

I screamed his name as Cassandra intercepted him, throwing him into the back wall like he was made out of paper.

I tried running to him, but Micah stopped me.

"Don't you dare fucking touch her!" Michael screamed, staring murderously at Micah.

"Michael," I cried, "Cassandra is the leader-"

Pain exploded through my gut as Micah viciously kicked me in the stomach.

Cassandra narrowed her eyes on Michael and snapped, "Micah, destroy him."

Micah grinned, "With pleasure, my love."

He left my side and run at Michael, who was still recovering from being slammed into a concrete wall. I tried to warn Michael, but Micah was too first, grabbing Michael and throwing him out of a window.

Micah jumped out the window after him, leaving me and Cassandra alone.

She grabbed my arm and started dragging me away from the broken window. I tried fighting her, but she was too strong.

"I'm sorry about all of this," she said. "But I can't have anyone interrupting us."

Her fingers bite into my skin, her grip so strong that I can feel my bones close to breaking. She yanks on my arm like I'm ragdoll, forcing me to stumble after her.

She stops suddenly sighs irritably, "I said no interruptions."

I look up and see two green laser dots hovering over her chest.

A wave of relief washes over me as Gabriel and Raphael appear in front of us, aiming their guns at Cassandra's heart.

Raphael casts a glance at me and smiles, "I told you we'd be behind you."

"Thanks." I smiled.

"Any last words you evil ?" Gabriel asked.

Cassandra shrugs and replies, "Ask them."

I see the group of slayers, flanking us from the left. The feeling of relief intensifies. Cassandra was outnumbered and outgunned. There was no way she was getting out of this.

Barry raises his hand and the slayer open fire.

For a second, I thought it was all over, but then Raphael and Gabriel crumpled to the floor as blood stains blossomed across their white shirts.

Barry stepped over their bodies and approached Cassandra.

"Good evening, Cassie," he said pleasantly.

I stared at him in astonishment and anger. What the hell was he doing?

"We're not here to hurt you, Cassie. We have been looking for her for a very long time."

Cassandra didn't reply. She regarded him coolly and kept her hand firmly locked on my arm.

"Our government would love to offer you the opportunity to join our team"

My eyes widened in disbelief.

"You bastards!" I scream.

He ignores me and continues, "We can guarantee safe accommodation for you and your vampires."

"It's very rude of you to interrupt my evening. I don't have time to deal with you personally, so I will leave that to my children," she replied.

She continued walking to the back office and just as she opened the door to go inside, the lights in the main warehouse floor cut out, plunging us into darkness.

I smelt the V-3s before the lights cut out... but the slayers didn't smell them.

As Cassandra threw me into the back room, I heard one slayer ask, "Are those eyes, glowing over there?"