Four: The Almost Rejection

The Almost Rejection

"I mean, how freaking dare he!" I yell, my feelings were still raw with emotion.

I had just finished telling Nicholas everything that had happened once I woke up in that room with Alexander. In the process of my storytelling I realised that I was more upset that he left me on the forest floor. There's no point in denying that being around him really did something to me and because of the bond, I loved whatever it is.

However, Nicholas didn't seem to care about any of this. He barely made a comment throughout my entire rant. This in itself added fuel to the fire, I mean, why in the worlds is he not listening to me. Does he know how rude that is?

"Mhmm." Nicholas hums.

"You're not even listening –" I raise my arms in annoyance, "What the heck are you doing?" I march towards my bed where he is laying.

I peep over at the book on the bed, he's laying on his stomach, feet in the air, pen in hand wracking his brain over,

"A crossword puzzle. Really?" I deadpan.

This wolf cannot be serious.

"Yeah. I can still hear you, kind of hard not to." He mutters tapping the pen against the paper.

I lay beside him, on my back. Placing my legs on my headboard and my arms under my head. My parents nearly grounded me - at my age, imagine - thanks to Alexander's stunt. My father was boiling.

After I entered the house he found me and questioned me. They surprisingly weren't home when I got back, it was just Elisha and Nicholas who greeted me at the front door. When my parents returned, I decided telling half a lie was granted in this situation. So, all I said was that I went wandering around the forest because Zeke isn't my mate. I claimed I was so devastated that I just slept right there because I couldn't cope.

My mother immediately sympathised and told my father to drop it and being the lovesick wolf he still is, he obliged. Guess the mate thing works out for me when it wants.

"Moving on from my terror. How are you and Elisha?"

Just as I guessed Nicholas is her mate and I honestly couldn't be happier for my sister. This is the kind of love that she honestly deserves, pure and gentle. Being a whole week after the whole club ordeal, therefore our birthday, I have come to rather accept that my best friend needs to be shared.

I won't lie the first three days after I was upset, I was. I needed someone to tell this whole Alexander ordeal to and my best friend was nowhere to be found. Granted that's how it goes – having an actual mate that is, you two become all loved up and disappear for a few days. Wrapped up in the mate-ness. Not this mess I have to deal with.

However, I've just had one train wreck after the after. Losing my boyfriend, sister and best friend all to the mateship just for me to have basically nothing. Just me, myself and I. When Beyoncé sang it, she made it sound much more glamorous than what it actually is.

"Great," He beamed, "Couldn't be better, thanks for asking but I'd rather not say any more, I don't want to be inconsiderate."

I half smile, "Thanks. However, why didn't you tell me she was your mate? I know you knew that I knew."

"She's your twin, Elijah. I thought you might tell her."

Which I guess would be a fair excuse but in our case, it isn't. I would never betray his trust like that, let alone spoil the experience for Elisha. She has done nothing but dream about the day she'd find her mate, looking him in the eyes and running into his arms since we found out about mates.