One: The Attack

Elijah ↑
[the narrator/lead character, clearly female. stop asking.]

--

The Attack

"Elijah!" Someone yelled my name for what felt like the millionth time. I rolled to my other side and covered my face.

The yelling didn't stop, "Elijah dammit. Please get up, we have to go!"

Letting out an exasperated sigh, I sit up and begin, "I'm up, I'm up. Although I don't get why, it's a Saturday." I mutter, wiping my eyes clean.

I know I get my days mixed up all the time but I am sure of that. I most definitely have no business being up this early. I hated wasting my day to sleep but I hate waking up early just as much.

Monday to Friday I have training both for myself and as a coach for the beginner warriors. It's a lot of work but I love it, I love feeling like I have something to do within my Pack.

"That's great and all bu –" My fraternal twin sister lets out a frightened scream, she runs to my closet and begins throwing my clothing into a backpack.

I try to get out of my bed when suddenly the house begins to shake. That's when I know something is really wrong because we have no natural disasters in South Africa. So whatever is going on cannot be good and suddenly, I can feel it in my gut. Well, I feel something in my gut but it could be hunger too. Who really knows. Just as I get my sneakers on my window shatters and a body flies in. I scream this time.

Staring at the body on my bedroom floor I yell, "Oh my god, what the heck?" He smells different and I don't recognise him so I know for a fact he isn't a member of my Pack.

"We're at war." My sister says, throwing the now super full backpack on her back. I hope she has food somewhere in there.

War?

"What?" I splutter and at the same time, the body groaned.

The man stood, "I advise you two leave. Someone will come after me."

"Who are you?" I step forward. He's in my house and he's telling me I should leave? The nerve.

Paying no mind to the foreigner my sister continues on, "Here's your stuff." She hands me another bag.

Finally, I realise the roars and screams coming from the outside, with the window now broken I can hear them crystal clear. The groans, the bones snapping it's all so vivid. We're really at war, I put the backpack on but my mind doesn't seem to be fully functional.

"We need to go." Elisha tugs on my arm.

Just as we reach the door to my room another man walks in, through the sliding door that led to my balcony. His smell was similar to the jerk who was on my floor, they're most definitely from the same pack. Weirdly though, the new guy, his smell is almost intoxicating. I actually like it but before I can even get a look at his face my sister starts running. She was holding onto me so I had to follow her lead. She was going so fast though, I have never had to run this quick, meaning she was definitely almost going at full speed.

We had left the house now running toward the carnage, looking straight ahead, I think I would prefer to go back inside. It was brutal, my pack and the other were dying. Blood was being splattered everywhere, wolves and humans alike growling and fighting no one was backing down. It was serious.

"We just need to find Mom and Dad." Elisha said as we ducked a wolf flying over us, we were in the heart of the battle now.

"Find them? In this carnage?" I stand up straight, "We should help." I attempted to remove the backpack so I could shift.