Two: The Joke

Elisha ↑

---

The Joke

"Elisha!" I whined, resisting the urge to frail my hands around whilst pouting and moving my legs exaggeratingly up and down like a child.

She huffed, "Eli, c'mon," clearly tired of my insistent whining.

"Nicholas, help me!" I cried out to my best friend who simply shook his head, not even lifting it from the focus on his cell phone screen.

I turned to my boyfriend and pouted, "Zeke?"

He simply raised a shoulder, "Sorry babe."

"Fine. I hate you all, just thought you needed to know."

I was being forced to go to some club. I detest clubs with all of my being and here I was being forced by the wolves closest to me to ring in my birthday there. It's our birthday next week Saturday and my sister thinks the best way to celebrate it is by going to a club.

We'll be turning nineteen, so we can finally find our mate. I'm excited because I know it's Zeke. I mean, I can't possibly love someone who isn't my mate. Plus, Zeke is nineteen and he feels it too. We have to be. I'd be devastated if we weren't, and you know, I'd never hear the end of it from my father. So that would be a bummer.

I continued to sulk, "I really don't want to go."

"Not my problem, last year we spent our birthday in freaking Ratanga Junction Amusement Park." Elisha scowled as I smiled at the memories.

Every year we switch who gets to choose how we spend the day. It's one of the last remaining twin things we insist on keeping intact before we're just too old to – basically, have our own families. Which could result in this year being the last year we do this and I'm being forced to go to a club? Moon goddess help me.

"I endured Ratanga Junction, you can endure the club." She threw me a fake sweet smile.

I wanted to right hook it away, "It's not that bad, babe." Zeke pecks me, "I bet you'll end up having fun."

"You'll never leave my side, right?" I look up at him.

He shakes his head, "Never," lightly brushing my cheek. I smile and pull him down for a kiss.

"Oh, the PDA. My poor virgin eyes." Elisha mutters.

Elisha hasn't 'found' her mate and she isn't willing to date someone because, unlike me, she doesn't think she'll find him before her Mate Year. So, she just rejects every boy that approaches her. Drop dead gorgeous or not, sweet as pie or not you can bet they're getting kicked to the curb.

Nicholas hasn't found his mate either, which is okay seeing as he only turned nineteen last month. So he's bound to find her soon.

I have a strong inkling of a feeling that Elisha's his mate. I know he probably feels the pull towards her because he never leaves her side unless he has to and that's a little odd seeing as he's my best friend, not hers.

Not to sound possessive or anything, Elisha has many friends but no best friend. She doesn't trust easily so I am her best friend. Even though Elisha is more bubbly and outgoing like our father she doesn't necessarily like to give any kinds of pieces or chunks of herself to others. She's likeable and friendly but she worries wolves could take that for granted and screw her over.

On the other hand, I'm more like my mother, sassy but friendly. A full-blown no-nonsense taker and it doesn't work in my best interest with my being a warrior. I tended to get into many fights with people who disrespected me in school. I've grown since though and I tend to turn the other cheek now, much to my father's happiness.