Chapter Twenty Three

"I mean I'm not 100 percent, I got a test from the chemist in the airport" Lily pulled out a clear blue pregnancy test from her bag and put it on the side "Say something..." She paused as she waited for him to react...There was nothing.

Ryan wasn't silent because he was angry or worried, he was silent because he needed a minute to take it all in and process it all. The more he thought about it the more his attention was drawn back to what had happened the night before, if Lily's fears were confirmed and she was pregnant...then Blake would have done what he did while she was pregnant. The thought of Blake touching Lily was bad enough, but touching her against her will while she was carrying his child was enough to push Ryan over the edge. He managed to stay calm though and focus on the situation in hand, Lily had just told him she thought she was pregnant and if he didn't reply soon he would risk upsetting her...

"Ryan?" Lily's voice was full of worry and concern "Shall I do the test?"

Ryan nodded his head and watched Lily take the pregnancy test into the bathroom.

××

Lily put the test stick on the floor and zipped up her pants, she then washed her hands and continued to stare at it.
Ryan couldn't wait outside any longer, he knocked on the door gently before walking into the bathroom "Is it ready yet?" He asked as he leant against the sink next to Lily. She shook her head and wrapped both her arms around her torso "Hey look at me" Ryan turned his body so he was facing Lily "Whatever the the result I will support you okay?"

"Okay" Lily whispered softly "I'm sorry"

"For what?"

"Putting you in a position like this, I should have been more careful" Lily frowned.

"What" Ryan shook his head in disbelief "It's just as much my fault as it is yours, it's both our responsibility to be careful. Anyway we don't know for sure if you are yet..."

"So you're hoping I'm not?" Lily was quick to judge Ryan's comment.

"I didn't say that" Ryan shook his head "I just meant we didn't know for sure and honestly baby I meant what I said I will support you whatever the result. I love you so much"

"I love you too" Lily smiled as she reached forwards and picked up the test off the ground, she turned it over and sighed deeply "It's negative" She smiled. Ryan couldn't help but sense a slight disappointed tone in her voice.

"Are you disappointed?" He asked.

"No I don't think so, it's just...I don't know" Ryan was surprised Lily couldn't answer his question "I am glad in a way I am not pregnant after what happened with Blake, but then again the thought of having a baby with you isn't exactly a terrible idea. I know it's too soon and everything..."

"But it's something we both want to happen in the future..." Lily's mouth gaped at Ryan's reply "Yeah okay I admit it I'd love to start a family with you some day..."

"Of course you would who wouldn't?" Lily giggled cheekily "I'm awesome"

"Oh is that right" Ryan smirked as he stepped closer to her closing the gap between them, as he moved forwards to kiss her Lily moved away.

"I'm sorry I can't" Lily frowned, Ryan could see the sadness in Lily's eyes.

"Hey its okay" Ryan gently brushed her cheek with his fingers "I'm not going anywhere, I can wait until you are ready"

Ryan wasn't really sure what he said or if it was him at all, but he watched as Lily slumped down on the couch and began to sob gently "Why is he doing this to me?"

Ryan sat beside her quickly and hugged her tightly "I don't know baby, I don't know" he rocked her trying to calm her, but it was no use for the first time Lily had let Blake in.

××

Ryan moved away gently, Lily had fallen asleep on his chest. He laid her head gently on a cushion on the sofa and pulled the throw up over her legs and up to her waist. He then moved some hair away from her face, before bending down and kissing her lightly on the forehead.

Ryan's phone had been vibrating on the kitchen counter for almost an hour, he checked it and saw all the text messages and voicemails. As he dialled the number for his voicemail another text message came though so he read it 'Hope you're okay, Drew told us what happened if you need anything just call and that comes from all of us, Zach'

Ryan didn't have the energy to reply, he just listened to his voicemails. Most of them were from his manager, but there was also one from the police station. Ryan walked out onto the porch and dialled New York PD "Hi I need to speak with whoever in charge of Blake Timms case?"

"Just hold the line" a woman spoke cheerfully, Ryan rolled his eyes as some prerecorded melody played down the phone as he waited on hold. Ryan looked behind him quickly to make sure Lily was still asleep, he could see her through the window.

"Oh hi yeah, my names Ryan Tedder I'm Lily Grainger's boyfriend. You left me a message to call you" Ryan spoke on the phone to the Sargent.

"Hello Mr Tedder, yes basically we were calling you to keep you in the loop" the Sargent seemed nervous "Blake Timms has admitted touching Lily..."

"Oh thank god" Ryan's relief was short lives as the Sargent continued.

"But I'm afraid he is saying that he didn't realise it was against her will, he says she never at any point said no" Ryan ran his hand through his hair.

"So he's got away with it again?" Ryan snapped.

"No it will go to court Mr Tedder, but I'm afraid it will just boil down to Mr Timms word against Lily's..."

"Why do I get the feeling it gets worse?" Ryan paused when he heard the tone in the Sargent's voice change.

"Because there was no real evidence of a struggle I'm afraid we haven't been able to hold Blake in custody...he got bail" Ryan's fist hit the wooden wall almost like an instinct reaction "Mr Tedder I understand how you must be feeling..."

"NO" Ryan yelled furiously, he had forgotten about Lily sleeping "No you cannot possible understand, when will you take this seriously? When she's really hurt...or worse Dead? And what do you suggest I tell Lily?"

"Tell her there will be a trail"

"Great thanks for nothing...AGAIN" Ryan hung up the phone and turned back to find Lily was not laid on the couch anymore, she was standing behind him looking puzzled.