ch. 1 - New Year's Eve

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

New Year's Eve

Sora's assistant Cristina appeared a few minutes before midnight with a purple foil top hat on her head and a noisemaker in one hand. "You've got a visitor."

"At almost midnight on New Year's Eve?" Never mind that Sora had been in the Himura Media Group offices since seven this morning, save for a brief lunch at home with her son, Tommy. She didn't have anything else she'd rather be doing with her house empty and her son asleep. Surely, whoever this was could wait.

"He said it was important."

"Tell me it's not my ex-husband." Her head gave a horrific twinge in memory of her persistent migraine, and she stood from her desk to brace herself for the onslaught. Sora Gallegos Himura was nothing if not willing to take a hit on her feet.

Cristina pulled a face. "Not yours, no," she hinted heavily. "Shall I show him in?"

Sora eyed the clock. Her assistant had stayed late on the most exciting night of the year to keep her company. The least she could do was let the woman join the other workaholic employees in their after-hours celebration.

"Sure. Why don't you join the others on the roof, I hear the fireworks are going to be amazing tonight."

"I don't mind sticking around." Which Sora might have believed had Cristina not perked up so obviously at the mere suggestion.

"The hat says otherwise. I'll be up for drinks in a little while. Have enough fun and kiss enough gorgeous people for the both of us."

"You saying that as my boss or my friend?"

"I'm saying it as the person who doesn't want to see you sued for sexual harassment, so choose your kissees wisely."

"Will do." Cristina quirked a smug grin. "As for you, don't have too much fun either. The view is delicious."

"What?"

But Cristina only laughed and darted out of Sora's office on her towering heels. Sora forgot her assistant's odd parting shot when a knock sounded at her door and a tall, broad figure followed. She almost didn't recognize him.

Is that...? It can't be, can it? He's still in Rome. A sudden quirk of full lips proved her wrong. The chiseled jawline that had haunted her sister's youth was buried under a bristly layer of whiskers. His hair was longer, save for where his trademark sideburns had ruled; those were gone. Thoughtful lines crossed his brow where none had been before. Softness had glommed to the athletic physique he so prized. Yet, there was a youthful light in his eyes Sora had never seen. He had aged in both directions, it seemed; but for all that time had finally touched him, it was as if no time had passed at all. Sora grabbed onto the back of her chair, overwhelmed at the sight of him as she hadn't been in twenty years. It was her ex-brother-in-law.