ch. 26 - June

She took Ravi's hand and pulled him to the limousine that was waiting to take them home. They crawled in the backseat and regarded each other, silent, in the dark.

"Did I just tell the world I'm in love with you?"

"That's what I heard. How's it feel?"

"Outstanding."

"Freeing?"

"Freeing!"

She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tight.

"Let's go somewhere."

"Anywhere in particular?"

"I have somewhere in mind."

Sensing that he was choosing to be mysterious, she settled in to enjoy the ride, lulled by the nonsense Ravi was tracing on her thigh.

Before long the limo was rolling to a smooth stop.

"We're here."

Ravi opened the door and offered his hand to help her out of the backseat.

It was their place. Where the city met the ocean and lost men found themselves. Where lost people find each other.

"What made you want to come here?"

"This is the place where my life started to change for the better. There was plenty of bad before you. Now there's a lot of good. Coming back here seemed right."

Sora turned her head and blinked in confusion.

"The car's here."

"I had the driver bring it by while we were at dinner."

"You had plans for me."

"When you want to get away, you don't want witnesses. I don't want any; I want you."

He picked her up and spun her in a circle before setting her back on her feet.

"Same here."

Ravi skimmed the planes of her face with his fingertips.

"Dance with me. We got interrupted last time; we gotta make up for that."

Sora looked around at their place. It wasn't much of a dance floor. "Here?"

"Anywhere."

Sora felt silly, all dressed up with no one to impress. "There's no music."

Ravi ducked back into the car to fiddle with his sound system.

Strains of a crooning balladeer filled the cool night air.

Ravi offered Sora his hand and she could only accept.

"I think you're stunning no matter what you're wearing and no matter where we are."

"I don't know what to believe. You want me, not my sister. Hana is really alone and I'm not supposed to care about that, but I do."

"Because it isn't fair?"

"Because this," she gestured between them, "doesn't happen to me."

Ravi nudged her chin up so she'd meet his eyes. "It does now."

"You've been in front of me my whole life. How did I not see you? You're the most beautiful and amazing woman I've ever met. How could I not fall in love with you?"

"This is the first time you've seen me. It feels so good to be seen."

He thumbed tears from under her eyes.