ch. 19 - May

After dinner had been devoured and the cupcakes frosted and left to set, Sora queued up a movie for the four of them to watch. Dhiren insisted on having the armchair, and an entire bowl of popcorn, to himself whereas Tommy was content to be cuddled in Sora's lap, nursing his sippy cup. Ravi and she shared a bowl.

"I have no idea what we're watching, but it's supposed to be family-friendly."

Ravi raised a handful of popcorn in a toast. "Here's to new experiences."

Dhiren shushed them both and they settled down as the opening scenes began.

Partway through the movie Ravi took out a yellow legal pad and started scribbling away. Sora noticed by the fervent scratching of pen on paper.

"Not your kind of movie?"

"Hmm? Oh, no, it is. I've seen it. It's one of Dhiren's favorites."

"Do you want to switch to something you haven't seen yet? I don't want you get bored."

"I couldn't get bored with you, Sora. You keep me interested just sitting next to me."

"Hence the urgent shopping list writing."

She tried to take a peek at what was so urgent only for him to tilt his notepad away from her prying eyes.

"Not making a shopping list." He smirked like he had a secret. "I've been inspired."

Sora hummed, contemplative. Ravi tended to be struck by inspiration at the oddest moments of late.

"If it doesn't detract from your artistic fervor, what are your and Dhiren's plans for the summer?'

"We were thinking about taking a trip to Rome to see Ishir and Evelyn, and maybe doing some backpacking elsewhere to celebrate his birthday."

"Big plans for a little guy."

"Dhiren knows Rome like his own backyard, the rest is exploratory. It's like you and Tommy: I want Dhiren to get as much out life as he can at this age. He won't have this kind of free time once he's all grown up. You only turn ten once."

"It's a good idea. But Tommy and I will definitely miss you."

"You don't have to miss us, you could come with us."

"Come with you to Rome." Sora looked down at Tommy to hide her surprise. "That's an awfully big trip for Tommy at this age."

"Get him vaccinated and make sure he doesn't put any of the local garbage in his mouth. Why should he have to wait till he can spell it to see the Eiffel Tower?"

"You can't be serious."

"Why wouldn't I be? I've been forthright this far, haven't I?"

"I can't seem to say no to you."

Ravi tore out a page from his notebook and folded it up to put in his pocket.

"How about this? Think about it for a couple of weeks. I'll get you an itinerary and you check it against your obligations for the summer. If you can make it work, you'll think about it. If not, no harm done. What do you say?"

"I say I'll consider it."

"That's all I wanted to hear."

Ravi carried on drawing on a new page. Meanwhile, Tommy fussed more the sleepier he became. Sora checked her watch and was saddened to see the time. It's getting late.

Sora elbowed Ravi and pointed to Dhiren who'd nodded off in his armchair. Ravi rescued Dhiren's bowl of caramel popcorn before it could decorate the floor and covered his son with his coat.