ch. 22 - June

Ravi wound his arms around her. Sora settled in, happy to be held. She was sick unto death of discussing what she hated about herself.

"How's the planning going for your summer in Rome?"

Ravi tensed and moved to let go of her. She held him fast. He didn't put up much of a fight.

"Not going. Hana said no." A muscle near his eye twitched.

"Why would she say no? You and Dhiren have been planning this since before he came home."

"Hana wanted us all to go together because their birthdays are only a week apart. I didn't have a problem with that. Then, Dhiren mentioned that we'd asked you and Tommy to come along and she raised some objections."

Sora removed her hands from his chest.

"She didn't want me to come with you. I wish I could say that didn't sound like my sister."

"I don't know what her problem is."

"Your ending things with her is the problem. She thinks the four of us are going on a family vacation and leaving her out of it. She'd recognize the tactic since it's exactly what she tried to do to me with Anthony and our son."

"Sorry to bring up bad memories." He rubbed soothing circles down her spine.

"I won't hide from them. They are what they are."

"In any event, the trip is off. Dhiren and I have decided to go on a road trip instead right before school starts up, sometime in the last couple of weeks of summer. You should come."

"Hana wouldn't like that."

"I don't really care what she thinks. Hana's not my mother. We have joint custody of Dhiren and you're not a threat to his wellbeing. You're part of his family. If you want in, we want you; I'll want you regardless."

He keeps saying the right things. He might even mean them.

"Gosh, me in a car with three sweaty men for days at stretch. How could I resist?"

"The offer's open till we leave."

"Thank you for thinking of me."

"Always."

"You'll never get rid of me if you keep talking like that."

"Remind me not to stop—ever."

Like a thief, Ravi stole her into his arms and kissed just as he had that night, except today there was a horizontal surface and no sleepy children to deter them.

He lifted her off her feet onto his desk, knocking aside anything in his path to make room. Sora pulled him down with her, grabbing handfuls of his jacket to pull his body over hers—and oh god, she'd never stop wanting this. He covered her like nightfall, dark and heavy and completely enrapturing; his biting kiss left her breathless and his fingers twisting in her hair kept her coming back for more.

Sora wanted more of him, all of him. So much more.

She yanked at his blazer till he relinquished his hold long enough to let her push it off and tug him back to her. Their legs tangled as he divested her off the blazer she'd dressed in with such care. Don't care. More.

She pulled his shirt free from his waistband to seek out bare skin to sate this hunger he'd roused so carelessly.

Ravi surged against her like he'd been shocked back to life, grasping her hips to press as close as he could.