ch. 34 - July

Sora hated herself for calling the moment her ex-husband picked up.

"You need to hear me, Anthony. I don't care what your game is, but it is dangerous and it is jeopardizing the company you claim to care about."

"Are we in the middle of conversation? Because I don't know what you're talking about."

"Do not play games with me, I have the patience of a saint; I will wait you out as long as it takes."

"If you've got something to say to me, Sora, you'd better say it. I don't like riddles."

"You deny that you're behind the media carpet bombing Himura is dealing with."

"I swear on my sons' lives."

What was worst was that Sora believed him. But if not Anthony, who would go to these lengths to undermine Sora's leadership? In truth, Himura had so many competitors that there could be any number of individuals making an attempt now that Himura seemed weak at the knees.They're going for my throat. I'm going to have to give them a fight.

...

...

Sora examined her reflection in the mirror of the CEO's personal washroom.

This is my son's legacy, it's my legacy. I will protect it.

Her course duly charted, she convened Sam and her VPs in the executive conference room for a little tête a tête before certain death.

She was sure that all and sundry had been informed of the nosedive the company's public figures had taken. From their defensive postures, she knew they were expecting to be left holding the buck. That wasn't how Sora did business.

She positioned herself behind the executive seat at the head of the table.

"Himura is in trouble, I think we're all aware of that."

Their answering mumbling was ambivalent at best.

"We need to stop reacting to what our competitors have to say about us and start anticipating the onslaught. We need a game plan for getting ahead of the news cycle. I've put up with this for long enough, I think we all have."

Everyone nodded, some reluctantly, and others with more vehemence.

"I'm done being caught on my back foot and I'm done seeing this company's reputation dragged through the mud under false pretenses. We're fighting back with facts. Talk to your contacts at the rival press. Invite them to brunch. We're going to show our competitors just how it is a successful business at the top stays at the top."

"DEFCON One," Saffron enquired, plucked brows pitched high.

Sora lowered her chin in agreement. "Bring out the family photos and financial statements. If they want the truth, they're going to get so much truth they'll choke on it."

Finally, her staff seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. Playing nice just wasn't their forte.

Whoever had targeted Himura for annihilation was about to have a terrible day. Sora would see to it.