Chapter Thirty: Goodnight Princess

Rufio's P.O.V.
I was laying in bed, listening to each and every small noise that sounded around me. It seemed even louder than before, louder than before I could see. Every scuttle of leaves an animal would make. Every howl of the wind. Every twig snapping under the foot of some creature. And suddenly I felt so alone. I could see nothing but the dark. No one to see, not even myself. I felt as if I didn't even exist. I was cold. And I was scared.
I mustered up as much courage as I could, and pulled my blankets off, then quietly slipped out of my bed. I told myself I was crazy several times and almost ran back to my bed, thinking that he'd say no and think badly of me for the rest of eternity. But I forced myself to walk to Felix's bed side. With a trembling hand I reached forward and placed it on his shoulder.
"F-Felix?" I whispered.
I retracted my hand quickly as I felt him stir under it.
"Rufio? What is it?" I heard him ask, his voice thick with sleep.
"I-I w-was wondering, I-I m-mean..." I bit my lip. Maybe this was a bad idea.
"Yes?" He prompted.
"I'm scared Felix." I whispered. "A-and I was w-wondering if I c-could s-sleep w-with y-you."
"Of course." He answered.
I sighed with relief. The worst was over.
I heard him moving closer to the wall of the tent, so I crawled in, staying close to the edge of the bed.
"I-I'm s-sorry f-Felix, th-this is t-terribly awkward." I whispered, teeth chattering, half from being nervous and half from being cold.
"That's alright Princess." I heard him say, a smirk sounding in his voice, then it turned to concern. "Rufio, you look like you're freezing to death. Are you cold?"
"A l-little." I answered true fully.
"Come here." He said. I heard the sound of the blanket moving, and sensed that its opening was somewhere in the air now. I scooted closer to Felix and he let the blanket fall gracefully back down, covering us both. He wrapped his arm around my side and I felt warmth explode through my body like a bonfire during winter. I let out a sigh of comfort and snuggled deeper into his chest. I heard him chuckle and felt his arm tighten around me.
"Thank you Felix." I whispered. "And goodnight."
"Goodnight, princess."