Murky Mind

"Welcome again, all, to another oh so exciting day of class." The teacher said in a cheery, sarcastic tone. The class groaned in response. Strangely enough, I actually wanted to know what was going to go on. If he said he was going to try to look through our minds, like he promised, to better understand us, then I am more than thrilled. And if I could, I can find out why the fuck I got slashed and torn up yesterday.

 My seat was in the front row, 5th seat from the left, conveniently where Mr. McMain had been to the direct front and slight right of me. If anything, I could raise my hand first and be picked first for experiments. Oh dear, my excitement is freaking me out.

 "It's partner work today, so get yourself a buddy and maybe if I like you, we'll get to know each other." Mr. Mcmainsmiled and tapped his temple, indicating he'd read our minds. He looked at me and nodded. What was that supposed to mean exactly, I wasn't entirely sure. As friends and cliques formed their partners and groups, disregarding the only one partner rule. I ended up with a shy, quiet, back-of-the-class-don't-talk-to-me girl. She had crimson horns on her head, so I'm guessing she was some sort of Succubus or something, but I wouldn't know. Maybe I'd ask if we became closer.

 "Kyra?" Mcmain called me from his desk. I made a question-mark expression, and he motioned me to his desk. I nodded a "see you in a bit" nod to quiet, horned girl, put my books on the desk I sat at and walked behind Mr. Mcmain's desk, who swiveled his chair to face me. He started silently chuckling to himself. I gave him another confused look as he finally calmed down, pushed his gold-framed glasses, put his hands on his laps and started to say what he needed to me.

 "When I call you in the beginning of class, you can at least come right away instead of a 10-minute delay." He smiled. Now I was extremely confused. The only sort of "sign" he gave me was a nod before we got into partners.

 "I..don't understand." I sort of mumbled under my breath. I still wasn't used to most of my teachers and my shy-ness tends to take over when I talk to teachers. He wasn't any exception, especially if I didn't know what he was talking about.

 "In the beginning of class. You didn't get my message?" He pushed his glass up to the bridge of his nose again. I gave him a confused shaking of my head as Mr. Mcmain put his fingers on his temple and looked like he was in deepthought. Moments later, he seemed to have came up with some sort of idea. 

"Ah, I completely forgot your from down there, your mind is so closed! You haven't so much as skimmed the waters of opening your mind! Well I'm very pleased to have you here. In fact, you can stay after, I'll write you a pass, no worries. Your next class? Oh never mind, I'll ask that later. There are more important things to be done!" Shuffling some papers, Mr. Mcmainfixed his glasses as he looked around the class. Each and every one of the students looked up simultaneously, as if they were robots being controlled with one remote, and all of them nodded. The fact that they all did it at the exact same time, no one millisecond delays, no one person sleeping and not paying attention in the corner, no flaws or mistakes, really made me wonder if everyone here was possesed through this whole mind reading thing.

I shook my head at the thought and followed the teacher to a secluded room in the back of the classroom. If Mr. Mcmain wasn't going to make my mind more prone to telepathy, anyone, even myself would have thought he was taking me to a dark room and was attempting to molest me. Well I would dearly hope that didn't happen. The room had no windows whatsoever. It would've been the black you see when you close your eyes at night if it hadn't been for light coming from the open door connecting the classroom to this dark room. From what I can make out, two chairs faced each other. That's all what seemed to be in that room. Just walls, a floor, and two plain chairs. If Mr. Mcmainhadn't flicked his wrist enough where I could hear it snap, I wouldn't have noticed the little light-bulbdangling from what looked like complete black. Even with the little light-bulb's light, empty black stretched from all sides of the room, making it seem endless. If it hadn't been for the light from the door, it'd seem like the room was much larger than it actually was, which was probably as large as a small, middle-class bathroom. Mr. Mcmain herded me in, closed the door and ushered me to the chair farthest from us. I sat down, my back not comfy against the wood.