The Introduction To The New Life

The woman took me straight to an empty dorm room, as if my arrival to the high school was on hold for a thousand years. It was in absolutely perfect condition, dust-free and spotless. Dark red velvet walls coated the room, making it seem like there was a massacre, but in a nice way. It had a large, queen-size bed with a large desk with a fancy mustard yellow lamp. The floors were cherry wood flooring with no cracks or anything. Just extremely perfect flooring. I thought it was all an allusion, because no room can be that perfect, until I stepped inside and nothing disappeared or vanished when I did. Then, I finally realized that it was magic that made it all clean and nice. I stared at the woman in amazement but she replied with a welcoming smile. Something out of that smile made it seem unreal. Like it was a trap to lure me in or something. But, that didn’t matter that day. All I wanted to do was savor and enjoy the magical moment. I jumped right onto the bed, sinking into the softness of the fabric and mattress. The woman smiled at me and yet, I still haven’t asked her name yet. “Hey, I forgot to ask.” I started the conversation by looking at her. “What is your name?”

“Forest.” The woman replied.

“Oh, I’m-“I was about to say my name, when I realized that she already knew…somehow.

“Kyra, yes, I know.” Forest quickly replies. I show her a tiny smile on my face, but there’s some fear in there. How did she know my name? How did she find me? How did she know of my powers? How did she know where I live? These strange questions pounded in my head, practically pouring out of my mouth.

“How do you know me?” I blurted out, speaking my words out faster than they could come out. Forest sighed as if she’s heard this all before and way too many times.

“I’m a sorcerer. I can find valuable information from people without asking them. It comes in handy, actually. Since I am the headmaster of this school, it comes in handy to determine if a student is lying about something or not.” Forest answered. I ran out of words to say, but I could tell she’s trying to find out something else from me by the way she’s looking through me and not at me. I could tell she’s a mind reader. “I’ll leave you alone, as I can see you need to get settled.” Even I knew that someone needed to be left alone without being a sorcerer. She left me in my room to be, or probably is my room since I’m going to a sleep-away school now. I had nothing to unpack so I just napped for a while. That was when I realized that I slept a whole day. I didn’t realize that it was practically dark outside with all the crazy things happening. I just wondered what my parents were going to think. It’ll only be in a matter of days or so until they found out I’m gone, since they go on their overnight feasts in the forest on the weekends. At least, I thought it was a weekend. I really couldn’t tell what day it was.

The next morning felt like a normal day. Birds singing their hearts out, the sun just about to reach the highest peak of its journey, pools of light filling my room. Everything seemed normal, except the fact I was thousands of feet in the air with no way to get down, unless you call suicidal free-falling a way to get down. I might as well just stay here until I have a safe plan to get down. Until then, I might as well see what this school can do about my strange powers. When I woke up, I noticed some fresh clothes, folded into flat squares on the desk. Those must be the school uniforms or something. I unfolded the clothing and put it on. Turns out I was wearing a red, tight-fitting shirt with yellow and orange string sewn into the shirt, making it look like a fire symbol, black, satin pants with no pockets and black shoes that were definitely not for 98° weather. Luckily, the shirt had short sleeves so I wouldn’t be dying of heat any time soon. At least, I hope I didn’t. It felt strange to walk in this type of clothing because I’d never even dare try to wear something fancy like this. Well, it was the only piece of clothing I had that was clean. Even so, I’d still prefer my open-toed sneakers over sweaty dress shoes on any hot day.