Hardly A Dream

I wake up thinking I'm in my old bed, worrying that there's a dead body that my parents devoured on the kitchen floor and I have to find a way to hide it so we don't get suspicions from neighbors. But instead, I wake up to the luxury of a comfortable bed, the morning sun seemingly closer and brighter than normally, and the sound of, not cardinals and blue jays, but dragons calling to one another, the sound of fire spewing out of their throats, and wind beating against their gargantuan wings.

I let out a lazy yawn and rubbed my head after a subtle pain edged near my temples. That reminded somewhat of what I attempted to remember that happened yesterday. Oh right, this freak of nature tried to kill me and Roy was being all flirty with me. That basically sums up a wonderful evening. A muffled announcement was made, probably informing everyone to get up. I did so, slipping on the uniform for the fire students, picked up a bag and a few school necessities the school provided for me and instinctively knew where homeroom was and swam through the sea of different and complex people.

Once you got to be in a different school for a day, the rest just fly by and it becomes your home. That's what it felt like today: Aaron and I talked most of the day, I met new freaks like me, Jinx flew me to heights planes couldn't even reach, and I had begun to feel like I had a new life, a new home, a place where I finally belonged. Carrying two books in my hands, I walked with Aaron, who was going to show me one of the nicer, less crowded parts of the school to eat at lunch periods.

 "It's just a few turns here." He said as he held my wrist, leading me like a 5 year old through Disney land. His light brown hair was messy and adorable, the kind where it was fine if it was messy and uncombed. He had a determined expression and of course his legs could carry him miles and miles.

 "Can you slow down?!" I complained, barely being able to catch up with his jock speed, causing an annoying pain of my wrist being almost pulled from its socket. Finally, he had stopped his frantic speeding and we had arrived at a pretty and secluded courtyard. Small trees with branches that seemed to curve to make a path for wanderers to come and relax. Birds unnative to me sang songs that actually sounded like a person was singing them. Small, dragon-like insects flew around, but seemed to be aimlessly buzzing around and wanted nothing to do with us. Different scents entered and exited my nose at speeds too quick for me to memorize them all. In short, it was an extraordinary scenery and would have the same feeling of when you walk into your first toy store every time I came here.

"And?" Aaron turned to me, chuckling at the expression that invaded my face. I was still in that shock from how strange and interesting things could be millions of miles up in the air. Who knew things could look so different when you're up in the air? Aaron took my wrist again and showed me to a few marble fixtures that served as a bench. I sat on one behind a large, gnarled tree the hung over me to serve as shade.

"How'd you find this place?" I asked, opening up my bag and fishing out food taken from the school cafeteria.

"Running away from teachers, adding to that, a lot of time on my hands." He replied, casually laying on a bench, much like a Greek would when his servants would feed him grapes because he was too wealthy to do it himself. "Caden and Daren and I tend to hide out here from principal. She's an..interesting woman."

"How so?"

"Well...she seems nice and sweet at first...she has a bad temp-" He stopped mid-sentence and started rubbing his head, as if a truck just hit him, and his face showed like he was in deep pain.

"Are you okay?" I asked, a bit worried about the sudden pain and was about to come near him and attempt to help him, but he motioned me to stay put.

"She's a pretty interesting person. In a good way." He made a weak smile. I got confused as to why the sudden emotion change to Forest. I decided not to worry so much about it and smiled.

A bell rang from within the school, signaling it was time for the next class. Fortunately, for me, next class was Psychics, which dealt with the "phenomenon that goes on in someone's head, looking into the mind of an individual, and helping you to better understand our dreams and nightmares.", or at least that's what I got from the lecture yesterday. I'm guessing it's a class for newbies like me who can't mind-read and such yet, which I'm pretty okay with. As long as I can know some interesting things before I get back on the ground, I'll be fine.

I gathered my bag and was about t pick up the leftover food, but Aaron shook his head, picked it up, and tossed it behind him. Before I could ask him why the hell he did that, a large plant almost resembling a venus fly trap, caught the leftovers and ate it hungerly, it's bretheren hissing for more. I backed away slightly frightened. Aaron smiled and hugged me for re-assurance.

"Don't worry, they only act like that because they barely eat all day and I'm the only one who feeds them." He pointed a finger at them, which caused a zapping noise to come out and shocked the plants to quiet. They made weak whimpering noises that had a ground-like edge to the tone and they slithered back to their hiding places. I smiled and hugged Aaron back. It's funny how I felt brave and less afraid when Aaron embraced me. It's like his tall, football stature told me things were alright.

"You know where class is right? Down the-"

"Yes, yes, down the hall." I smiled at his constant caring and ensurement that I don't get lost. I waved  him as we went our seperate ways, him to some super-smart math class and me to figure out what the fuck happened yesterday.