Chapter 20- Strawberry Pie

Começar do início

When I followed my mom into the kitchen I saw that she had Strawberry Pie and Peach Pie on the counter. Strawberry Pie was my absolute favorite and she only made it for me on special occasions. Why would she make it now?

“Mom! You made Strawberry Pie?!” I exclaimed running up to her and giving her a hug.

“Yes I did sweetie,” she told me hugging me back.

“Bu…but why?” I asked still not over how excited I was at getting a chance to eat the best strawberry pie ever made.

“Well…it is kind of a celebratory pie,” she told me as she slid the pie over so she could cut it.

“What are we celebrating?” I asked confused.

“We are celebrating you, Maria. You and Evan to be exact,” she told me looking over at me with a smile filling her face and lighting up her eyes. I didn’t know what to say. I stood there in shock staring at her for a good minute while she cut both pies and began putting the pieces on their own plates.

“That’s…that’s really sweet of you, mom. I don’t know what to say,” I told her truthfully.

“I can tell honey,” my mom said with a laugh, “but be happy! The whole family, especially your Grandma Anne, is really glad you two are together. You make each other happy just by being in the same room.”

“I am happy we are together too,” I told her with a grin and a blush.

“Good good. Now does Evan like Peach Pie or Strawberry Pie?” my mom asked me as she began placing the plates on a tray to carry them out to the guests.

“Don’t know. I guess we will have to ask him,” I told her as I loaded the rest of the pieces onto a separate tray and followed her out back into the dining room.

Turns out Evan likes Strawberry Pie like me. He couldn’t stop praising my mother for her extremely good pie-making skills. She told him what she tells everyone; it’s all in the crust. When we were done with dessert Evan and I excused ourselves to go to my room and change clothes before going out on the date I had been planning for the afternoon. Everyone told us goodbye and to have a lovely time. Evan even received hugs from many of the female family members. My cousin Alexis held hers a little too long but she’s 14 and Evan is attractive, what are you gonna do?

When we entered my room Evan closed the door and grabbed my hand and pushed me so I was standing between him and the door. My back was to the door and when he stepped impossibly closer all my thoughts about this afternoon faded away. All I could think about was the guy who was less than a centimeter away from me.

“Your family is quite entertaining,” he told me in a hushed tone. He was trailing his fingers up and down my arms and I was having a hard time thinking straight. “The strawberry pie was the best part though, especially because your mom made it to celebrate us,” he told me looking me straight in the eye.

“That was sweet of her wasn’t it?” I asked even though it didn’t sound like a question and I don’t even know if he heard me because I had butterflies flying everywhere and my brain could hardly comprehend anything Evan told me.

He brought his face closer to mine and I rose up slightly to meet his, but he stopped when our noses touched and I heard him gasp under his breath when I tangled my left hand in his hair and used my right on his lower back to push him more against me.

“Maria-“ was all he could say before I brought his lips to meet mine. I kissed him like I hadn’t kissed him in months even though I had kissed him just a couple of hours ago outside the back gate of his house.