The Wickedness of Men

Time passed slowly and all of our plans were rightly dashed by my father's pessimism. He claimed he knew what the Hunters would do, how they would react. He had a particularly annoying habit of shutting down our ideas before we could get them out. After a short argument, Porter made us agree to take a rest. My father and I went to separate ends of the house and I was sure that Porter was right.

When I enter my room, I am shocked to see a rather large figure standing beside my window. My pulse begins to race and my heart pounds against my chest as flashes of Kai stabbing me race through my mind. I absentmindedly knock a pile of CDs off my nightstand.

The figure, David, turns to me. His gaze moves from me to the CDs and back to me. What was certainly anger dissipates from his face and an emotion akin to concern replaces it. I stumble over and sit down on the bed, the strain of the last few days wearing on me. The stab wound is obviously wearing on me as well.

"Hey, you okay?" David asks as he moves towards me. I put my hand up, cautioning him not to come closer. I see his confusion, "Are you afraid of me?"

"No." I say softly, "Yes. I am but not for the reason you think."

"Not because I murdered Kai and his parents?" David asks. I shake my head. His expression becomes a sea of confusion, "Then..."

"I got stabbed. I'm not really up for hugs." I frown. I take a minute to compose myself, "How'd you get in? We were downstairs, I'd have heard you come in."

David gestures towards the window

"This is the second floor." I frown.

"I climbed. I damn near jumped." He smiles proudly.

I am not surprised. I could have guessed it. I'm not sure if I am impressed or terrified. He crosses the room over to my closet and his eyes begin to peruse the photos I've arranged. Most of them are from the time when we barely noticed each other, or so I thought. Group pictures, mostly from parties. His gaze moves over to the cork board behind my computer desk, which was filled with new pictures, many of the two of us.

"It's weird to think of myself then. I was filled with anger and self-loathing." David says thoughtfully, "I was repressed. My life only really began with you. I know that."

"You're giving me too much credit."

David turns to me, "But you feel I did something wrong." He stares at me.

"Yeah."

"You left...without a word. You didn't call me when you needed someone. You went to him." The venom in his voice was alarming. I didn't expect to be back so soon, to have to deal with this so soon. He sighs at me, "I would give anything for you to look at me like before. I noticed immediately."

"You killed people."

"For you! I would murder anyone to save you, to make sure you are okay."

"Listen to what you just said." I mutter gently, "You don't murder people, this isn't who you are."

"You think the wolf is taking over, don't you? That's why you offered to cure me. What if I tell you that I enjoy being a wolf? I enjoy being free."

"How much are you willing to give up to be a wolf? Your humanity? Your sanity? Me?" 

"What if I told asked you to do the same? To give up witchcraft?" David argues.

"It's different."

"Is it? What is your goal now?"

I think about it. He isn't right. I know he isn't. His agitation at my words brings a sense of fear to me. David would never enjoy murdering people. He's always been a dick but I seriously doubt he ever murdered for any reason.