Cliffs and Hanging

"So, are you breaking up?"

Eva always seems to simplify things. Well she does that and also jumps to wild conclusions. Of course, she is usually pretty intuitive about most things. Her intuition bugs the shit out of Charlotte and me a good percent of the time. This time it happens to me that she's annoying and for good reason. A slow realization creeps over me that I was possibly in love with Lucas...but we aren't anywhere near right for each other. He is danger. He'll always be danger. As strong as I feel for him, he will never be right for me.

After agreeing to stop Tituba, I am now fully aware of things that seemed to escape me before. Being at the Domus brought even more clarity to my muddled life. It has become my haven from the outside world. Unfortunately, my friends now realized it and are worried that I use it as a means of distancing myself. 

Lucas surely has a hand in their insistence.

"No, we're not." I try to hide how annoyed I am with the direction of this conversation.

Eva stares at me, "Why are you angry?" 

"I'm not. Just tired of you asking me semi-relevant questions." I look to Charlotte, who is sitting in the corner texting someone intently, for help, "Help me here."

"She can't. She's been texting her mystery man." Eva taunted.

Charlotte looks up from her phone and flips Eva off, "He's not a mystery. He's not my man. He's-He's just a guy I might be interested in and who might be interested in me." She rationalizes.

"You?" I ask.

"Yes, me!" Charlotte frowns, "What am I, a nun? I lost my virginity before you."

"That's really not a solid argument." Eva says with a chuckle.

"Okay, this is exactly why I don't tell you two things anymore." Charlotte says with a sneer.

"I thought it was because you were possessed." I wait for a response. When I don't get one, I sigh, "See, if you don't have to deal with that, I definitely don't have to deal with this."

"There is a this?" Eva persists.

"No! Eva, please stop." I warn.

"Can you at least tell us where you were? Or even what happ-" Eva stops as I promptly shut the book and slam it on the worn wood table, "You're not the same. Whatever he did to you made you different."

"I think we're all getting extremely good a repressing things. Can we go back to repressing things?" Charlotte asks.

"I just feel like our lives are moving in different directions." Eva says with obvious exasperation, "I don't like the direction we're going. We really can't let this stuff go."

"Okay, sharing and caring is a thing but can we just put it off?" Charlotte ask, "At least until after Prom? I've been looking for a really cute dress and I'm working on a date. We have the rest of our lives to be neurotic, as showcased by Perry."

"Hey!"

"We're young. We need to be out there living and doing stuff, not talking about it." Charlotte says as she stands, "I have to go. Dresses need to be bought and cars need to be rented."

Without another word, Charlotte darts out of the door.

"She's going to explode." I sigh.

"See, that's all I'm saying!" Eva growls with exhaustion, "How did I become the normal one again?"

                                                                          *************************************