Stop and Stare

Phoenix - 1919...

Phoenix walks down the French Quarter, taking in the sights of New Orleans. He'd been loathed to come here, if only for the sole reason that he loathed the French bureaucrats and their bourgeoisie sensibilities. Of course, he had no choice but to flee here.

The puritanical rules of those in Salem had yet to diminish, despite the many supernatural creatures that inhabited it the fair township. Luckily his Mother was quick to find a better place to inhabit. The best thing about Tituba is that she sought to shatter the puritanical notions in very smart ways.

Tituba.

His 'Mother' had always been there for him, teaching him and guiding him. The finest schools, the best tutors and the best of everything. But there was no amount of money that could replace knowledge. The knowledge that Tituba taught him got him to this spot and is the biggest and most unexpected secret he could have ever hoped to learn.

When he was a baby, Tituba stole him from his mother and disappeared, as she was prone to doing. When confronted, Tituba lied and evaded his questions. In anger, he ended up attacking her. She, being more learned in magic, bested him easily. With his tail between his legs, he'd retreated to the one place his 'Mother' wouldn't come.

She isn't welcomed here.

Even in her diminished form, she was able to shut him down in seconds.

"You're quiet."

Countess Lana DeDonscata was a woman in her mid-twenties with a penchant for altruistic ideals. Phoenix had known her throughout her youth. He couldn't help but to see the beauty she held. Because he knew her as a child, he fought the strong feelings of attraction he felt towards her. As the biracial daughter of a dignitary, she was virtually an outcast, despite her stature and beauty. In the time he'd known Lana, she'd been uprooted from her home and learned of her burgeoning witch-hood. She took a definite liking to Phoenix immediately and as much as he hated to say it, the feeling was mutual.

"It becomes you." Lana jests. The two passed a garden and Lana gently plucked a rose, "It unsettles me, if I'm honest."

"My mind is a million miles away, and for that I apologize." Phoenix glanced at her, "I have to admit, you catch me at an inopportune time."

"An inopportune time, sure. The meeting of the seven covens for the Sabbat is in a day. I need to know that you're ready for this." Lana said with a coy inflection, "Our very lives depend on your full attention being on the ritual."

"The power of the full coven-"

"Is nothing compared to you and Tituba." Lana noticed Phoenix's hesitancy, "The powers of the witches are rising and one day, we're going to show all the pompous mortals exactly what we can do. But for now, we need you."

"Tituba cannot know that I'm here, nor what we are doing." Phoenix insisted, "I regret to say that we are not on good terms and if she knew, she would break the laws and come here."

                                                                      ***************************

Perry...

My immediate reaction to breaking up with Lucas was disbelief.

Lucas is probably the most beautiful man I'd ever met before, save for David. Deep beneath the somewhat homicidal tendencies he seemed to have, he is a good...person? Vampire. Lucas is a vampire. I have to remember that. He's shown up to Phoenix's mansion to kill him and brought David to slaughter as well.