Knowledge and Not Knowing

After my epiphany, I tried to put as much space between me and Lucas as possible. I also tried to do the same with Eva and Finn. She was obviously lying and, for some odd reason, not concerned about the truth. She seems enamored with Finn and Lucas, even when I voice my reservations.

I also had what equated to a heart-to-heart with my grandmother.

My Mother seemed to work a lot, which allowed me enough time to interrogate My Grandmother without arousing much suspicion. Of course anytime you take interest in older people, they are skeptical. During my interrogation, I was reminded of how much I liked spending time with my Grandmother. Apparently senility runs in our family and she's begun to show signs of the disease.

"Granny...do you remember when you used to talk about magic and demons?" She was facing away from me, though at my words, I see her tense up, "You used to say we were descendants of witches, remember? You said that our family line is powerful. You also said that there were dark things out there. I'd be really interested in hearing about it."

Grandmother turned to me with a borderline believable smile, "Stories, baby. That's all they were. Stories to pass the time." She walks over and pushes a plate of cookies onto the counter, "Your Mother doesn't want me filling your head with such nonsense and I can't blame her."

"She's not here, right? Even if she were, it isn't nonsense, is it?" I ask. I cannot read the fear that flashes across her face before she's back to smiling. I shake my head at her, "This isn't about witches...Granny, there are vampires here."

She puts her hand to my forehead and I almost believe her shock, "Are you alright, Perry? You're not making sense." She says softly.

"I know this game, Granny. But there is something here...something truly horrible." I gently push the plate of cookies back at her, "I guess I'll figure this out by myself." I say as I turned and leave the kitchen, daring not to look back at her.

                                                                       -------------------------------------

As I walk into school, it truly seems like an impossible task. Trying to avoid Lucas, David and Eva seems almost futile. I've never had to duck people so much in my life, not even when my Father and Brother left. The downside to avoiding Eva is that I also have to avoid Charlotte, who's begun to send me angry text messages.

Angry is an understatement.

I am in the midst of reading one of the text messages when I turn the corner and bump into someone large and cold. At first, I think someone is moving a refrigerator. I look up to see Lucas but this cannot be Lucas. The guy looks exactly like Lucas in almost every way, save for a more put together appearance. He is different in some profound way. It's his eyes. They're soulful.

"Hey, Perry, right?" Finn asks.

I stare at him for a second before moving past him. I can feel him jog up next to me as I finish reading text messages on my phone. I groan when I see him out of the corner of my eye.

"You know my brother. He's...well, my Brother." Finn says, "It's nice to finally meet you."

"I just ignored you but you're happy to meet me?" I ask as I finally look over to him, "And before you ask, yes, I'm ignoring Eva and Lucas. Mostly for the same reason."

"She said you'd be perceptive." Finn nods, "I totally agree with avoiding Lucas. He's...my Brother."

I stop in my spot and stare at him, "You do, huh?" I asked.