Chapter One

Oh, hi! I didn't see you there, friend! Hullo! Ah, I know, I'm being overly friendly...sorry, I'm not really like that. But, since your here.....I shall tell you a story! An amazing story, full of....um, full of....uh, where are my cue cards? *shuffles through piles of index cards* ah, here they are! Alright, let's try this again. Cue dramatic music! *dramatic symphony*

An amazing story, full of action! *cymbals crash* adventures! *slow bass drum roll begins* Laughs, smiles and tears! *the rain stick intensifies* Yes, the most riveting of stories!! *slender-esque bass drums*

...alright, that's enough of that. *music stops, and a cat screeches somewhere* Ouchie, that sounded painful. Oh well. Anyways, as Cry may or may not say, the story begins....

(BTW, rain sticks, if you didn't know, are these huge wooden sticks filled with plastic balls or pebbles or tiny little chips of something, and when you turn it over, it sounds kinda like rain! It's awesome)

*************************************************************************************************

I walked down the sidewalk silently, glancing to my sides. I was taking a shortcut home from the market, as my usual route was under construction. It was the quickest way back to my little house, but the way I was taking was a bit shady, to put it lightly.

I glanced backwards, only to see a slim man behind me, carrying a can of cream soda in his left hand. He had bright blue eyes and fair pale skin, as most people in Ireland did. We didn't exactly get a lot of sun here. His hair was a dark brown, with odd gray tips to some of his hairs. Strange, I thought. He couldn't have been older than 25 or 26. He was looking down at his phone, scrolling down on the dimly lit screen.

A moment later, he put his phone back in his pocket, and saw me staring at him. He smiled shyly, and I grinned slightly in return. He seemed nice. Not like a creeper, at least.

I turned my head away from the man behind me and peered down an alleyway to my left. I saw a man with a little girl in front of him, being held by the guy by her little arm. The dude seemed to be coaxing her into something, because I heard the young girl reply adamantly "No, No! NO!"

I squinted my eyes. Speaking of creepers. I tiptoed silently into the dark alley, behind the dude trying to get his hands on the girl. He wasn't that bulky, and I didn't see anything in his jean pockets. He was unarmed, I hoped.

The man from behind me had seen what I was doing, and was peering through the gap between building that was the tiny alley. I glanced over at him. He was pointing towards his phone, asking if he should call the police. I shook my head and held up one pointer finger, signaling his to hold on.

I rushed from behind the scumbag, to between him and the little girl, who looked about 6 or 7.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing, getting between me and my daughter?" he yelled, lying through his teeth. I could see it in his face.

What am I doing? I thought. I'm gonna get myself killed!

"Odd place for a family gathering, don't you think?" I said, sounding much braver then I was. I turned toward the girl, looking her in the eyes. "Sweetie, do you know this man?" I asked.

The girl frantically shook her head, her eyes wide with fear.

"I'm willing to believe her, rather than you. It's scumbags like you that make me sick. You think you can do whatever you please, and get away with it, don't you?" I asked, scowling at the man.

"Get away from me, you little bitch, she's my fuckin' daughter, not yours!" the man screamed in my face. I didn't move a muscle, maybe from fear.