Day of Pain

A/N: this chapter is extra long. Thought you guys should know.

I wake up laying almost flat on my back with an unbearable pain in my side. I squint at the unwelcome sunlight flooding my room as I attempt to open them. I start top try to sit up, but a cool hand on my chest, just above my beasts, gently pushes me back down.
"Hey! This hurts!" I shout in protest at the person holding me down.
"I know it hurts, but you must lay for a few moments." A deep, velvety, British, male voice answers me. I immediately freeze, then relax under his hand as my insides go haywire and my breathing and heart rate increase dramatically. After a few moments of laying in panicked peace, Loki removes his hand from my chest. He instead places one hand underneath me and on my back after uncovering me. Then he slips his other hand under my knees and picks me up and holds me close to his chest. I don't do anything with my arms because I know it will hurt, but I rest my head against his chest and listen to his heartbeat, which sounds exactly how mine feels. Rapid. My whole body is in tingles and the dragons won't stop flying around. He walks up to my desk and sets me down in my chair after he pulls it out with his limited magic. He then walks back to my bed and fixes the covers and places the pillows in a way that I can comfortably sit up. I position myself in the chair so that I can watch him. Curious, I know he's changing, but, he can't have changed this much within the three weeks he has been here, can he?
"How do you feel?" He asks as he's fixing my bed. I start as he asks the question, not expecting him to speak.
"Oh..um...not that great I guess. It hurts more than yesterday." I say as I blush from jumping.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." He says sincerely. I smile sheepishly at him and he smirks. I swoon inside.
"And its good that it hurts worse. That means it's healing. I can help it heal within a week, but I cannot force it to heal itself. I have not reached that level of healing magic. With your strength though, it should heal faster than a normal human. But I can help it be like it was never broken, if you would like me to, that is?" He says quickly and nervously. I nod and smile at him. He is right about my strength. I've always been a fast healer. He smiles back at me. Then he walks up to me and picks me up again.
"I can walk." I say sarcastically. He looks right into my eyes and smirks.
"I know." He says. I turn very red and look at my hands. He laughs lightly and I can't control my smile. He gently sets me down on my bed again. After he makes sure I'm comfortable, he walks into the hall and opens the medicine closet. After I hear him rummaging around, he comes back with a bottle. I'm not looking at him though, I'm staring open-mouthed at the large flatscreen tellie sitting upon a new, black, tv stand with glass cabinet doors, filled to the top with Xbox games and movies. My Xbox is sitting sideways on a shelf that's meant for DVD players, along with a blue ray player.
"...wha-?..." I ask, confused.
"Sofie told Tony what happened to you. Tony got you all of this, except for the movies, that was Sofie. Tony also repaired everything. I helped him and it looks as though The Other never caused any damage. Except for the bruises on our necks and on my chest. And your broken ribs." He says, deliberately avoiding my eyes.
"Wow. I mean, really, wow. I can't believe that you guys would do all that for me. Thank you" I say a little shocked. I know that they would be converned, I just didn't know they would do all this for me.
"You are our friend, and you are the first real one I've ever had. Of course I would do everything I could." He says and dramatically bows. I giggle, but stop short because it hurts. A little voice in my head is telling me I wish he was a little more than my friend. I turn a light shade of pink and try to ignore it.
"Where is Sof?" I ask him curiously.
"The last time I saw her, she told me she was going to something called a, bank?" He half asks, half says not very sure that it is called that. I smile.
"Yes, it's called a bank. It's a place where you take your money. You can either put money in or take money out. This is called a bank account. Withdraws account re when you take money out, and a Deposit is when you put money in. They hold your money in a safe until you are ready to take it out." I explain while waving my hands about pointlessly. His expression is one of understanding.
"Oh, I see." Loki says.
"I wonder why she's taking money out, because as far as I know, Tony paid for our rent in advance and he pays for our groceries and clothing. And Sof makes enough money at her job to buy something besides what Tony let's us get." I wonder outloud, mostly to myself.
"I'm not sure, she did not say." Loki says. I shrug.
"Oh well, guess we will find out when she gets back, won't we? In the meantime, we should play Xbox." I suggest playfully, knowing how much Loki loves my Xbox. He grins before getting it set up. He hands me one of the black controllers that he got off the shelf and keeps the other one for himself. He handed me first player. Good, I don't have to talk him through the steps. I don't feel like explaining that. Loki and I sit on my bed, playing Left For Dead 4 for three hours, talking about random topics and shouting abuse at the tellie. This is the most friendly Loki and I have ever been to each other. And we are actually having normal, tense - free conversations for the first time since I met him. But, of course, the magical moment has to be ruined.
"RAE?! LOKI?! I'M BAAAACK!" Sof yells through the house. I know for a fact that she can hear us talking and shouting abuse at the game. She walks through the my bedroom door to find Loki and I talking about what we would do if the game became a reality.
"Well, I would just take you, your brother, and Sofie back to Asgard." She walks in on Loki, presenting a solution.
"Well, yeah, but, what if Hiemdall doesn't permit it and you are stranded here? Then what?" I ask him playfully as I nudge him with my shoulder and whack a zombie repeatedly with the Frying Pan Of Justice. I named it. I do better with it than with a gun. It doesn't run out of ammo or gas, nor does it break easy and it is very effective.
"Um, then I would put you and your Frying Pan Of Justice in charge." I laugh, but then immediately regret it and wince. Loki pauses his screen and no places his hand on my side like he did yesterday. He closes his eyes and his face contort in concentration. He starts muttering andndndnd d andndndnd golden light emits from my ribcage. I feel better, and I thank him. That's when I notice Sof standing in the doorway, but she looks kinda sad. I groan and put my head in my hands anyways. Loki gets up and leaves.
"Don't go too far Loki, I want to talk to you." Sof demands.
"Yeah because I'm totally going to go somewhere." Loki says sarcastically before leaving. Sof makes a face at his back and jabs a thumb at him before making a face at me. She shuts the door before coming and sitting on my bed next to me.
"Are you okay?" She asks serously with a solemn look.
"Are you?" I mimic. She sighs.
"I don't know. That...that thing, whatever it was. That's one of the things I saw on the news, but it was bigger than the rest of them. It was like a leader or something. And then I thought you were going yo doe and I thought Loki was gonna die and I knew it was going to come for me next and, oh Rae, I was terrified. I can't get its ugly face, plastered with sick happiness as it was choking you. I-I can't." She says and breaks down next to me. Sof may not be the bravest girl in the world and she may be a little bit too girly at times, but she is still my best friend and I look over all that. I want to help her.
"You know what? I'm going to tell you something. Something you have wanted to know for a long time, but I never had the courage to tell you. But you need to hear it." I say seriously as I mentally prepare myself to tell her what happened with Jorm. The familiar lump is already building in my throat at the mention of his name. But I have to tell her, so she can know how I cope with that traumatic expirience, so she can cope with this one. She looks at me expectantly, her eyes red and tears staining her face. I tell her everything. About how Jorm died, why he died, how I was the only one to survive, everything. And by the time we are done, we are both crying messes.
"How do you deal with it?" She asks tentatively.
"I had to see someone who specializes with people suffering with PTSD. But they taught me how to relax, breathe properly if I start hyperventalating, thinking positive, assertiveness, and how to control my thoughts. But the relaxation and thought control works the best. For relaxing, do something that helps you calm down, like art. Make a lot of art when you feel like this. And if you start thinking about it excessively, don't think that it was your fault or that you could have don't something better. You did the right thing. Just tell yourself that, then try to think of something different, something positive. You will be okay." I tell her. She nods as more tears fall, but she seems happier than she was a few moments before.
"Thanks Rae." She says greatfully. I smile at her and she smiles back.
"Anytime." I say. She stands up and wipes her eyes, I do the same, except without the standing thing.
"Loki and I might be leaving. Is that okay?" She asks hopefully. I look at her skeptically and suddenly angry and jealous with her. First they start to watch a movie together, and now she wants to go somewhere alone together? I don't want anything to be going on in between them. She seems to be reading my thoughts. Because she makes a face of understanding.
"Oh no. Nothing is going on between Loki and I. I don't even like him that much. Besides, I can tell you guys like each other. I just want to take him somewhere. That's why I went to the bank." She says reassuredly. I can tell when someone is lying in a split second, and Sof is telling the whole truth. My heart instantly flies and the monster inside me, that was once growling protectively, is now purring happily.
"Where are you going?" I ask her.
"Secret. But nowhere bad. I need to buy something and he needs to be there." She says truthfully. I don't want to read my best friends mind, but I also want to know what's going on. I resort to just finding out later. I like surprises, well, good ones anyways. I finally decide, and since I can use telepathy to keep Loki in lone, I guess it couldn't hurt. The monster is skepyical, but also curious. I nod and she smiles, then runs out to the hall and slams the door as she does so. I hear a knock on a door, then muffled voices, feet walking, keys jangling, the front door shut, and then they are gone. I save the game where Loki and I left off and telepathically put on The Walking Dead. I watch that until they come back, two and a half hours later. I hear the front door open and shut. My brain never went off, so Loki must have been decent.
"Go on scardy cat!" I hear Sof whisper demandingly outside my door.
"Oh good pun!" Loki sarcastically whispers back
"Go!" Sof whisper-shouts at Loki. I hear Loki sigh, then breathe in and our before I hear feet walk down the hallway and into the kitchen. The door starts to open and I pretend o heard none of that. I look at the tellie and then look back at the door and into Loki's nervous eyes. He's hiding something behind his back and I telepathically pause TWD to pay attention to him.
"Hello." I say.
"Hello." He replies axiously.
"What's up?" I ask curiously. He says nothing, but slowly walks up to me and places a round, brown box with holes in it on my back and an emerald green bow on it.
"This is what I got you." He says. I stare at the curious box. There's probably an animal inside, based on the holes. But what kind?
"Open it." He gently urges me. I carefully undone bow and lay the ribbon aside. I pull the top off and instantly an all black kitten with green eyes jumps into my lap and mews. I gasp in surprise and happiness.
"Oh my gosh Loki! It's so cute!" I exclaim happily.
"I thought you would enjoy it." He says relieved.
"Is it a boy or a girl?" I ask curiously as I pet the kitten and it purrs immediately. I smile at it and I can see Loki gazing happily out of the corner of my eye. I blush slightly. I think im falling in love with him. Maybe.
"It's and girl." He says, almost like he's in a daze. It can't possibly be me, tge thing he's in half a daze with. I entertain the thought anyways. Which makes me blush.
"Well, she's going to need a name." I say as I scratch behind her ears and she closes her eyes andndndnd lays down on my chest. I laugh lightly as I try not to wake her. I look at Loki and see jealousy on his face, but he quickly gets rid of it, I ignore the nagging feeling in my mind and the swooping feeling in my stomach.
"That she will." He agrees and we lock eyes. I blush, but am unwilling ti look away. I think for a minute and then I look at the kitten with a smile on my face
"How about...Sekhmet?" I ask hopefully. Sekhmet is the Egyptian goddess of war and healing. It fits perfectly to me. Apparently Loki reads my mind because my mind had a warm sensation and he his smiling.
"I think Sekhmet fits perfectly."