Chapter 21: Mute.

Start from the beginning

“Leave her alone.” Luke yells.

The officers ignore us and shove us into the back of a police car.

The drive begins very silent. Until everything that had just happened sunk in. The hot tears prick my eyes and soon spill out onto my cheeks. I start sobbing and I can’t stop. Luke tries to comfort me but I need to know Anna is okay.

We pull into the police station and one officer grabs Luke and one grabs me. The man was very harsh while pulling me out of the car. They take us into the station and we receive many weird looks from people. What? Haven’t they seen two teenage kids come into a police station for running away and stealing food before?

“Sit” He says while shoving me into a chair.

I exchange nervous glances with Luke and he is shoved into the chair next to mine. Both officers leave the room leaving Luke and I alone.

“What now?” He says.

“They can’t arrest us. We’re underage. Plus we don’t have parents.” I say.

“Technically, my mom still has custody of me. So they’d contact her.” He tells me.

“That means they’ll contact the orphanage.” I say putting my head down.

A man came in the office and sat down in the desk in front of us.

“I suppose you know why you two kids are in here.” He tells us.

“Look, let’s just cut to the point where are we going now?” I say.

“Woah there missy.” He says.

“Oh my god you did not.” I say starting to get up when Luke grabs my wrist.

“Yeah that’s probably a good idea.” He says while two security guards pop out of the corner.

“Oh my god I’m going to kill him.” I mutter.

Luke begins to laugh a little.

“What are you laughing at son?” He asks.

“Nothing sir.” He says looking down.

“Where’s Anna?” I blurt out.

“Who?” The man says.

“The little girl who got hit with a car.” Luke says quietly.

That’s what they know her as. The little girl who got hit by a car. Not the Anna I knew. The sweet one that was close to me.