Chapter 17: Just You And Me.

Sophie’s POV

----

“Everyone look nice! Girls make sure your hair looks neat and brushed!” Mrs. Kurters yells rushing around.

Right now we’re suppose to make ourselves look nice because there are two couples coming to look at us.

I don’t need to bother getting all dolled up to be disappointed. Being adopted by them was a once in a lifetime deal.

I walk over to Anna in her room while she’s brushing her hair. She’s become like a little sister to me over the past month.

“Do you want me to do a special braid in your hair?” I ask.

“Yes please!” Anna pleads.

“Okay sit down.” I say.

Anna sits criss-cross apple sauce as she calls it and I start to brush and fishtail her hair. It takes about eight minutes but I finally finish doing her hair.

“Thank you Sophie!” She says standing up.

“You’re welcome! Let’s go downstairs so maybe you can get adopted and have a new mommy and daddy.” I say taking her hand.

“I don’t want a new mommy and daddy. I want my old ones.” She says quietly.

“I know, but maybe you’ll be even happier.” I say smiling.

“Okay!” She says running down the stairs.

“I’ve never seen you this happy.” Someone says.

I turn around to see Lennox.

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“After you’ve taken Anna in you’re not the same depressed Sophie I met when you came here.” She says.

“Is that a bad thing?” I ask.

“No, no! It’s good actually, I like the happy Sophie much better.” She says.

“Yeah I guess it’s better for me too. What age are the couples looking for?” I ask changing the subject

“Not sure yet, I think they’re just looking and then they’re going to decide.” She tells me.

“So that means I have to go downstairs right?” I say.

“Unfortunately.” She replies.

Lennox and I trot down the stairs to the “dining room” where all of the kids are sitting on the floor. I sit against the back wall with Lennox next to me. Anna turns around and runs towards us. She plops herself in my lap and we wait for Mrs. Kurters to announce who is going to get an interview.