Chapter 5: The Attack of the Deadly Slaps

*Charlie Stanton shown above*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up three hours later with Orchid still cradled in my arms. Her hair was still wet, and she was still so smooth, like the first time I shook her hand.

I kissed the back of her head, inhaling her fragrance like the most intoxicating perfume. She smelled of lavender, so addicting, and her body was so warm to hold. So soft, and so delicate. She fit perfectly in my arms as if she was made for me which was completely clichéd but it was the only way I knew how to describe it.

These were all things I would have known had I not been an ass to her for the past six months.

It was almost six thirty when I finally noticed the time. That was also when I noticed the little alarm symbol on the clock that was set for six thirty exactly. I figured that she had something set to wake herself up and make me breakfast, I just didn't know how early she woke up.

I gently disentangled myself from Orchid, replaced the covers over her body, and went over to fumble with the alarm. Once I was sure that I disengaged it, I got up from my spot and decided to go down and attempt to make her breakfast.

The events from the previous night dawned on me as I made her one of the only things that I knew how to cook: an omelet. I cracked two eggs in the pan, turned up the heat, and scrambled the eggs until they began to solidify enough for me to add cheese and flip. It dawned on me that I had no idea if Orchid even liked omelets, or what she liked in them. At this point, I would have asked Conor to fill me in, seeing as their relationship was fairly solid at this point. Then, I froze in my place.

Conor.

Oh my God. Conor is gone. Completely gone. What the hell was I going to do without him, more importantly what had I done. I knew the answer to that, I had fired him over Bridget's cheating ass. I ignored his warning, him telling me to give Orchid a chance, and to be a good man. The man he helped raise, but I ignored him. I steered away from that path completely, and I had never felt more remorseful in my life.

I spooned out my omelet, plating it next to Orchid's on the tray, then I poured both of us a glass of orange juice. When I was sure I had everything I needed, I picked up the tray, and headed upstairs.

I made it up to Orchid's room which was when I heard the faucet running. I pressed my back against the door, and gently pushed my way through it. I rounded the corner that separated her bedroom from the bathroom, peered inside, and saw Orchid frantically brushing her teeth. She noticed my reflection in her mirror, her eyes widening, and her mouth closing around her toothbrush. Such a simple act, yet somehow it turned me on...

Not now, Nik. Keep your head out of the gutter. It's a fucking toothbrush for God's sakes!

"I made us breakfast." I announced, trying to avert my attention. She stared at me for a moment, bright blue eyes assessing me skeptically before she spat and rinsed her mouth out with water. She turned to face me, eyes trained on the floor. Submissive.

I didn't like it.

"I was going to do that." She murmured after a beat, folding her arms across her chest.

"Do what?" I asked, slightly confused.

"Make breakfast." She replied.

"Even after last night?" I whispered, completely disbelieving. She avoided my gaze.

"It was nothing." She whispered back.

"It was though," I began, ashamed, "I hurt you."

"It's fine." She finished sharply, still avoiding my eyes. I placed the tray down on a nearby dresser before walking over to her. I reached my hand out to touch her, causing her to flinch at the action. She was scared of me, and she had every right to be, but I didn't want her to be. I retracted my hand before slowly reaching out to touch her cheek again. She tensed beneath my fingers but otherwise didn't move away from me. I angled her face so she could look at me, finally catching her blue eyes.